The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change ownership of account (DNS change)

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dxer, Jan 19, 2005.

1. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

Iam about to change ownership of one account from root to reseller account. This reseller has dedicated shared IP address and different nameservers. So is it just enough to change everything in DNS zone file (IP addresses and nameservers) or do I need to change something else and maybe restart Bind ?

2. projectandrew

projectandrew Well-Known Member

Changing the ownership of an account in WHM will not update the zone file for the domain - you should go in an manually update the zone fine for that domain (specifically the SOA record and the NS records).

You can check your domain dns is working correctly at http://www.dnsreport.com/

3. Winstonnnn

Winstonnnn Member

I have this same problem. WHat zone files do I have to edit, and what must be placed in them ? Do you refer to /var/cpanel/users/username file ?

Basically I need to change ownership from one reseller to another, but the new reseller is using main nameservers, and the current reseller is using custom nameservers.

I edit the dns zone file for this domain, changing the ips and nameserver entries. What other zone files do I have to edit, and what changes do I have to effect - please in as much detail as possible - ie where do i obtain the soa details i need to edit.

Thanks in advance.

#3 Winstonnnn, Jan 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006