The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change path

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ASTRAPI, Jul 19, 2009.

ASTRAPI Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008

I was create a account in whm and i have this path:

Then i change the domain and all is working great but i can't change the path to:

How can i change this as i have all my files there and i don't want to lost them?

Thnak you
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    The simplest and quickest way would probably be to create a symlink:

ln -s /home/newdomai /home/newaccou
  3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Jun 24, 2005
    Your English is very poor and I cannot quite make out what you are asking.

If you change the domain in WHM, your path won't change at all and will remain exactly the same using the same username and path as you originally began with before changing domains so I am guessing that you didn't really change the domain but rather instead setup a new account with the new domain which is not what you should have done. However, now that you have done things that way instead of changing names, you'll need to sort things out with what you have done.

What I cannot figure out is exactly what you are asking?

You could be trying to figure out how to move your files to the new account and perhaps trying to tell us that you don't know how to move the files?

Or maybe you already moved the files to the new account and you want to know how to update the paths in the files so that your files work in the new account as they did before in the old account?

In either of these cases, what Chirpy told you won't be of any use to you as I know what he thinks you are saying but I am not so sure you are saying what he thinks you are saying. Closer examination of your statement suggests two other possibilities in what you are asking which I think might be more the case.

For the former possibility above, the easiest way to move the files would probably be to make an archive containing your "public_html" and "mail" folders and extract that in the new account using the --owner option
    with tar to update the owner on all files to the new account login in the process which saves you a few steps.

For the later possibility mentioned above if you are asking about how to update the path in your files, you can do this with a replace command.

Go to /home/(new login)/public_html and do this:
    replace "(original login)"  "(new login)" -- *.html *.htm *.php
    Replace '(original login)' and '(new login)' with their respective login names

Anyway though, you'll need to tell us more about what you are trying to do or what you are asking so that I can better understand you and then I might be able to give you more detailed instructions what you need to do.
    #3 Spiral, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009