change primary IP address tutorial, have some questions in some steps

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
I used this tutorial to change primary IP address
/http://www.codero.com/knowledge-base/questions/248/, i have some questions in some steps

1. Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Change the IPADDR and GATEWAY lines to match the new IP and Gateway for the new ip
i changed IPADDR, but i dont find GATEWAY in this file, is this ok? maybe because this tutorial is old enough

3. Edit /etc/ips

Remove the new primary IP from this file if it is present
Add the old primary IP to this file with the format <IP address>:<Net Mask>:<Gateway>
so example like this 1.2.3.4:255.255.255.252:1.2.3.3
is this already correct & still needed now?

7. Restart the ipaliases script to bring up the additional IPs

service ipaliases restart
i only have 1 ip for my server, is this still needed?

thank you for the answer

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
Hello,

Upon changing the file to represent the correct values for the IP, you could restart the network,

/etc/init.d/network restart
Hi,

Restarting the network is not enough, compulsory you have to restart ipaliases

/etc/init.d/ipaliases restart
i already rebooted the server, i dont need run those restart again right?

the tutorial link above is not completed, its forgot 1 important step, that is :
WHM > Change Site’s IP Address
damn, i still use my old ip in the last 3 hours because dont know above step, my host still put the old ip for few days until make sure all services already changed to new ip
already Change Site’s IP Address, to new ip now

which part i can check again so changing to new ip guys?

Jan 6, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Yes, as you have rebooted the server there is no need to restart the services separately.

You should check on your particular account IP address on your DNS ZONE & change the IP address to new one.

Hope this may helps you.

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
Hello,

Yes, as you have rebooted the server there is no need to restart the services separately.

You should check on your particular account IP address on your DNS ZONE & change the IP address to new one.

Hope this may helps you.
ah yes this already done, thank you
WHM > Edit DNS Zone

any other place guys?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

You should not have to modify the DNS zone or Apache configuration if you used the "Change Site’s IP Address" option in Web Host Manager for the account. This option does that automatically.

Thank you.

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
Hello :)

You should not have to modify the DNS zone or Apache configuration if you used the "Change Site’s IP Address" option in Web Host Manager for the account. This option does that automatically.

Thank you.
but i already did that,
the order is reversed, "Edit DNS Zone" first, then few hours later "Change Site’s IP Address"
the tutorial above is not good enough or not completed

any other place i should check/edit guys?

btw i get this email message, its a daily cron, what should i do guys? :
curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'mydomain.com'

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Could you elaborate on what exactly is not setup correctly at this time? Also, could you use a website such as IntoDNS and let us know if the name servers are correctly configured?

Thank you.

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
Could you elaborate on what exactly is not setup correctly at this time? Also, could you use a website such as IntoDNS and let us know if the name servers are correctly configured?

Thank you.
looks like no problem, checked on intodns too

only my visitors a little less than normal

please recommend appropiate & updated change primary ip tutorial if there any, so i can recheck

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
We don't offer an official guide on changing the IP address of a server because it's a network-level action that's not associated with the cPanel software. There are user-submitted instructions on the following thread:

Changing Main IP Address

Thank you.

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
Hi again guys,

currently in WHM > Change Site’s IP Address, there is still old ip, beside new ip

i already emptied /etc/ips again, so removed the old ip information & service network restart too

what should i do? should i leave it there?

Nb. my host says already disable the old ip from their side

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
Hi again guys,

currently in WHM > Change Site’s IP Address, there is still old ip, beside new ip

i already emptied /etc/ips again, so removed the old ip information & service network restart too

what should i do? should i leave it there?

Nb. my host says already disable the old ip from their side
so it is in WHM > Show or Delete Current IP Addresses,
after i click trash icon on old ip, get this error message :

Confirm that entry for “1.2.3.4” should be deleted.
Entry for “1.2.3.4” not deleted.
The reported error message was: “Failed to remove IP address.”

screenshot :

how to solve this or which part i need to check?
already checked all in Edit DNS Zone, no old ip anymore there

Attachments

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

basketmen

Sep 9, 2010
Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.
created a ticket, since i cant solved this yet, already tried rebooted the server too
ticketid : 5995707

already contacted my host too, they said already disabled the old ip from they side
there is no problem until now with the old ip still existed like that, but please delete it if necessary

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
To update, the analyst suggested the system's routing table was the cause of this issue. The user opted to keep the old IP address added to the server.

Thank you.