The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Server IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wsenter, Jun 22, 2008.

1. wsenter

wsenter Well-Known Member

Is is possible to easily change the IP of a server? I have the ip of xx.xx.xx.21 all through xx.xx.xx.99. For some reason some mail servers are bouncing mail back to me citing that my ip is a known source of spam but I have no idea where it's coming from as I monitor it sooo closely. I haven't had the IPs for very long so I'm guessing its from a previous user or something. Is there a way to easily change from like xx.xx.xx.80 to xx.xx.xx.81 ??

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Plug your IPs in at http://www.openrbl.org. Might also want to check over at http://www.spamhaus.org

I say this because IF your IP space is listed in Spamhaus, you may very well find that _all_ of your IPs are listed in Spamhaus. if that is the case, then changing the IP will not accomplish much.

If your IPs are listed in Spamhaus, you probably won't be able to do much about it if it is due to your provider having a larger block on the blacklist. You'll then have to complain to your provider - and they probably won't be able to get your IP space off of Spamhaus but may say that they can give you a new block of IPs to use. One thing to be very cautious about when you are renting a server somewhere and using somebody else's IP space is whether or not any of your provider's IP space is listed in Spamhaus.

Mike

3. wsenter

wsenter Well-Known Member

Mike thanks for the tip. I typed in the IP and I got the following...

xx.xx.xx.80 is not listed in the SBL

xx.xx.xx.80 is not listed in the PBL

xx.xx.xx.80 is not listed in the XBL

So I'm not sure where it's coming from.

Here is an error I got when trying to email someone at comcast...

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host mx1.comcast.net: 554 IMTA01.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast xx.xx.xx.80 Comcast BL004 Blocked for spam. Please see http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=SecurityMail_Policy18628

4. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok great, you aren't listed in Spamhaus. Seems to be specific to Comcast.... I've had it happen before. Usually when a customer ends up setting up a forwarder in Cpanel and forwarding their mail (all, including spam) to a Comcast account. When Comcast's content filter scans the emails and determines that enough of them are spammy, the magic number of spammy messages triggers their system to reject.

Depending on your IP address, I'm sure the link gives more specific information. This includes a way to request removal of the block by Comcast. They'll generally do it. Fill out the information thoroughly and follow the directions and you can likely get your server unblocked by Comcast without too much ado.

Go here: http://www.comcastsupport.com/Forms/NET/blockedprovider.asp

Fill out the form above completely and submit it, making sure you enter accurate information the first time.

However, if you do this, keep in mind that there is a reason they blocked you. If it was because your system was generating/relaying spam, even if it was from a legitimate forwarder that a customer of yours set up to forward to their Comcast account, you'll need to resolve that.

NOTE: If you have a customer who specifically DEMANDS that they be able to forward their domain email to their comcast account, have them set up a POP3 account and then set up that POP3 account to forward. Have them filter out that POP3 account's spam. That way, when the mail is forwarded to Comcast, it won't contain any mail that your server already determined was spam.

If you actually feel like PMing me your server IP address, I'd be glad to offer your more specific instructions if you are having trouble with those that Comcast provides.

Mike