Change server response to non existent email

Shood

Aug 12, 2015
Middle East
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello
If someone send a message to non-exist email for a domain on my server, it reply with a message contains [email protected], instead of the original email the sender sent to, so the sender will receive a reply like this:
Code:
could not deliver mail to [email protected]  The account or domain may not exist... etc
It'ss strange that this issue started from a couple of days although I didn't make any change in Tweak or Exim settings

(Tweak Settings: Initial default/catch-all) is configured to Fail, and I don't want to use Blackhole because I'm under mail attacks all the time.

My question: where to control the server reply when receiving a message to non exist email address, I prefer the server to don't send any reply at all, but at least to send a reply that the "fakeemail" instead of "user_account_name" not exist

Regards

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
HI @Shood

The issue sounds like it's with where the bounce is being sent not that there's an issue with fact that mail to users who don't exist is bouncing.

Can you tell me what you have set for
EXPERIMENTAL: Rewrite From: header to match actual sender
If you enabled this option, the From: header will be rewritten to be the email address of the actual message sender. If you choose the "remote" option, only messages that are being sent to remote destinations will be affected.

Shood

Aug 12, 2015
Middle East
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you @cPanelLauren
I see as detailed in this option that it's for the actual message sender
anyway EXPERIMENTAL was disabled, I tried both: All and Remote and nothing changed,
The sender (let's say: [email protected]) still receiving [email protected] not exist when he sending to non-existent email (let's say: [email protected]) which [mydomain.com] is hosted on [myserver.com] in this example.

Another setting please?
Regards