The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change the default email username for mail clients.

Discussion in 'Migrate to cPanel' started by NorthSystems, Jan 17, 2012.

1. NorthSystems

NorthSystems Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I was looking how to solve this for days, I also asked on IRC channel (Freenode) but got no answer.
    I called the company who sold me the license and they don't know how to help me...

I will explain my problem:

We have more than 70 hostings (for our clients) on some other hosting with plesk.
    We want to move all those hostings to a new server with cpanel but I found a problem with the mail username for mail clients (Outlook in this case).

Let's say I have the client "Example" with the domain "Example.com" and I need to create the account "contact@example.com".

The default username for this account (for outlook configuration) will be "contact+example.com" or cpanel login.
    Well, what I need is to change that "contact+example.com" and make it "contact453" (for example), as it's on the other hosting so the client doesn't need to chang the username from his outlook client.

I hope I can get an answer for this,thank you.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure I follow your question properly. You would not login to webmail via Outlook with the cPanel login username. It won't work. You can create an email address using the cPanel login username though. If you do, then yes, cPanelusername@usersdomain.com would work.

What it sounds like you're asking is to be able to edit all users added email accounts from one username to another, is that it?

I'll move this thread over to the Migrations forum since you're migrating from pl*sk to cPanel.

3. NorthSystems

NorthSystems Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I will give you a real example. I created the account "mysite" with the domain mysite.com on my cpanel.
    Now I login to mysite.com/cpanel and I create the email account info@mysite.com.
    Now, if I click the option "Configure email client" on info@mysite.com, will give me this info:

Manual Settings

Mail Server Username: info+mysite.com
    Incoming Mail Server: mail.mysite.com
    Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) vps*****.net
    Outgoing Mail Server: mail.mysite.com (server requires authentication) port 25
    Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) vps******.net (server requires authentication) port 465
    Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
    Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)

This is auto set by cpanel, and I want to make "Server username: info123" (for example)
    I hope there is not problem because I gave the domain name for example, I will remove it if you notify me.

#3 NorthSystems, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Regardless of whether you're migrating from Plesk, it is not possible to customize the username for a given email account.

With cPanel & WHM, the username of an email account is always the full email address itself. This has nothing to do with the Configure Email Client option, but simply a core functionality of cPanel & WHM's email system. This cannot be customized. Part of the reason for this is to guarantee that there will not be email account username conflicts.

Note that technically two usernames are usable for each email account. The email account "info@mysite.com" would accept logins using:

info@mysite.com
    -or-
    info+mysite.com

The + username is essentially there for legacy compatibility with very old email clients that don't support using @ in a username.

5. NorthSystems

NorthSystems Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you very much Brian.
    I know we need @domain.name or +domain.name to avoid username conflicts but I thoght (like some other softwares) CPanel will detect if you tried to logged to mail.domainX.com with the username admin or if you tried to login to mail.domainY.com with the same username...
    Anyway, I will have a lot of work now :P I hope CPanel will be the best because I'll spend a lot of time to move all the information.

Thank you very much guys,
    Regards from NorthSystems.net

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Unfortunately, there is no way to not use the domain name as part of the e-mail username, and I do understand that this is different from Plesk and it is an inconvenience. The reason it cannot be changed is that the mail services on cPanel use the domain name to determine which file to look in for username and password information for the e-mail address. Without the domain, the services would not know where to look.

The only exception to this is the default mail account that each account has, which is simply the cPanel username. This is normally rarely used, though, and the only reason it is an exception is that it is a system user, not a virtual mail user.