PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
Is there a prescirbed (and hopefully easy) method to chaneg the main server IP in a cPanel box? Are there any issues or concerns to be aware of when doing this?

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
Thank you both for the input. I'll give this a go tonight during off hours. My only questions is this... Once I go though these steps is this an 'instant' change over thing or is there some expected down time like changing the IP for a web site that has to propogate?

wintech2003

PartnerNOC
Sep 15, 2010
Greece
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
If you're running websites on your current main IP, then all these websites will need to use the new IP after you change it.
Any domains that use your nameservers can be automatically updated if you use the IP Migration Wizard, but for domains that use 3rd party nameservers, the DNS records need to be updated manually.
If that's the case, I would also recommend you to lower the TTL of any affected domains to something like 300 seconds. Make sure to change the TTL early enough so that the previous value can expire (default is 14400 seconds, so in this case you should lower the TTL to 300 at least 4 hours before the IP change). That way, after you change the server's main IP and domains' DNS records, everything should be up and running after max 5 minutes.

All of the above applies only if you host websites on your server's main IP (which is the most common scenario). If you only host domains on additional IPs (IP aliases) then changing the main server's IP should not affect your website operations - as long as the server has proper internet connectivity after the IP change.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The IP change *on the server* is instant, but if you're also updating the DNS at the same time, that portion is not instant and will need to propagate. Changing the TTL as mentioned would help with that process and reduce the propagation delay.