The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change TMP environment variable

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by JoyceBabu, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JoyceBabu

JoyceBabu Member

Hi,

The environment variable TMP is set to /root/tmp by easy apache. This is creating problem with XCache, because user nobody does not have permission to create file in /root/tmp. The 0777 permission on /root/tmp has no effect.

I tried following the instructions at Modifying Environment Variables and creating a file TMP under /var/cpanel/easy/apache/rawenv/ and rebuilding easy apache. But it did not work.

How can I change the value of TMP to /tmp. I have a cPanel dedicated server with Apache / PHP compiled with similar easy apache options. It does not have the environment variable TMP set.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You may actually want to report the issue as a bug if it's resulting in an issue with XCache. What is the specific error message that you receive?

Thank you.

3. JoyceBabu

JoyceBabu Member

Hi Michael,

Xcache is unable to create the lock files

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/xcache/sFE35akcjso

Joyce Babu

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It looks like this may actually be an issue with the XCache configuration itself. However, I advise submitting a bug report via:

Submit A Bug Report

It's possible some changes to the initial configuration of this module need to be made when it's installed through cPanel.

Thank you.

5. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Out of interest, is this problem occurring immediately after the apache build only? I submitted a similar case (don't remember the exact specifics) over a year ago now because I'd found it necessary to remember to manually restart apache after each built to prevent issues the env variables.

As I recall it was relatively promptly rectified, so be interesting if a similar issue has returned.

6. JoyceBabu

JoyceBabu Member

I was using a standalone version of XCache. I'll try with the bundled XCache. Xcache uses the $TMP directory for storing the lock files. User nobody does not have permission to write to /root/tmp even though it is 0777. So, I don't think it is an XCache problem.

---
    root@venus [/var/cpanel/easy]# chpst -u nobody touch /root/tmp/.xcache.99.27445.1.lock
    touch: cannot touch `/root/tmp/.xcache.99.27445.1.lock': Permission denied
    ---

But, why am I unable to modify the TMP variable?

I tried restarting apache several times, but it did not work.

#6 JoyceBabu, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. JoyceBabu

JoyceBabu Member

It was a problem with XCache, after all. When I rebuilt apache with the bundled XCache, the environment variable and the error vanished.