The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change to cpanel3-skel file permissions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sceilig, Oct 6, 2005.

1. sceilig

sceilig Member

I have a set of files stored in cpanel3-skel for a reseller account. Each time a new domain gets created in cpanel, those files get copied across to the user's account and becomed owned by the user.

This has all worked fine up till this week when the permissions on the files being copied arent being preserved. I have some of the skeleton files set to be 666 so that the user can edit the file, but when I create a new user account now, the files get copied but all with permissions 644. The directories get copied with the correct permissions. I presume cpanel upgraded their creating an account script recently?

Does anyone know what I could do to make the file permissions be preserved when creating a new domain? I figured I could add some lines to a /scripts/postwwwacct file that the wwwacct script looks for, for extra instructions, but Im not sure what those instructions should be?

Thanks for any assistance or direction!!!

2. brunomenoli

brunomenoli Active Member

I have the problem too

I think that this problem also occurred due the update of cpanel
    version WHM 10.6.0 cPanel 10.8.0-R58

3. webhostgalaxy

webhostgalaxy Registered

retaining file permissions in skeleton

Has anybody heard anything about a fix for this, or anything that will help solve the problem?

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Where is the skeleton directory?

WHM says:

/root/cpanel3-skel
    This directory is what will be used as a skeleton for new accounts. For example if you place an index.html file in /root/cpanel3-skel/public_html, and then setup a new account, that account will have a copy of your index.html in their public_html directory

When I go to /root, the directory cpanel3-skel doesn't exist.

Do I need to create it?

- Scott

5. webhostgalaxy

webhostgalaxy Registered

You can create your own cpanel3-skel in the root folder if you want, but the cpanel3-skel folder should be on the folder /home/username/ for any reseller on your server.

ex: /hmoe/username/cpanel3-skel/.....

6. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Will try!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. This is not for any resellers, but for the accounts that I sell directly. The skeleton directory doesn't currently exist, so I'll make it and give it a try. Thanks again!

- Scott

7. webhostgalaxy

webhostgalaxy Registered

It also depends on how you do youraccounts. I created my own account and set myself as a reseller that way I'm not logging in as root unless necessary. I'm not an expert ni the matter but I believe /root/cpanel3-skel....will just be created for any account that does not have a cpanel3-skel loaded from a reseller profile. experimentation is probably the best way to find out.