The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed theme, can't change it back.

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by gnarvin, Jun 21, 2014.

1. gnarvin

gnarvin Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So I noticed a change theme pull down menu, so I tried it and when I switched to "X" I couldnt find an option anywhere to change it back to "X3". This is a really stupid problem with a super simple solution Im sure. If someone could help me that would be awesome.

2. gnarvin

gnarvin Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Anyone? This is really stupid because I shouldnt even have this problem in the first place. Why there is no option to change your theme back or to another one is ridiculous. If "X" is an outdated and useless theme, why even bother keeping it as an option. Now because I was curious I can't do anything, a third of the options and links are gone on cPanel which included the options to change the theme back. And the ones that are there don't work they way they were working in X3. Is there any other way of changing a theme manually.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Logout, close your browser. Log back in.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Do you have root access to the server? If not, you may need to contact your hosting provider to have them modify the default theme for the account. Note that while there is an "X" style available for the X3 theme, the "X" theme itself has been removed from the product. You referenced a drop down box. Are you sure this was not a third-party plugin that allowed you to switch to the non-existent "X" theme?

Thank you.

5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I still have x, and x2 on that menu myself. 11.44.0 (build 7)

Selecting either, sends me to a white page. Log out and then back in, as mentioned, gets me back to the style set with the Package.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We stopped distributing the x and x2 themes a few years ago. Older servers will still have those themes. Likewise any servers that were created through various server migration, or server restoration, techniques might carry those themes along.

If suggestion Infopro made does not work, you'll need to open a support ticket with your hosting provider in order to return to the X3 theme.

I've notified the team that introduced the theme switch of this particular problem. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

7. dexus

dexus Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How to disable / remove Switch Theme option from cPanel UI?

I would like to remove Switch Theme option that is forcefully added in cPanel 11.44 version, but I can't find any option to disable new Paper Lantern theme or remove Switch Theme dropdown.

8. Bidi

Bidi Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Unbalivable users changing theme to sonic

OMG today allmows all the cusstomers had changed the x3 theme to sonic from cpanel and they was not able to return because they dont have an WHMSonic plan.

How can i remove sonic theme from cPanel users not to display anymore if they dont have an WHMsonic plan or sompting.

It drives me crazy.

9. geck

geck Member
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can have /var/cpanel/themes.conf contain just the theme names on their own lines and that's all the user will see in the drop down.

x3
    paper_lantern

10. Mark_CFH

Mark_CFH Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /var/cpanel/themes.conf doesnt exist, could this file be somewhere else?

I am seeing the same issue here, people are selecting "Sonic" theme, when they do not have a WHMSonic account, in which they are unable to go back and change theme back to normal. We then have to go into WHM, modify their account and change the theme back to x3.

How do you get rid of that selection box, or remove the sonic theme without disrupting the users that do have a WHMSonic account.

11. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    you can safely create /var/cpanel/themes.conf if it doesn't exist.

12. mfelman

mfelman Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Having a similar problem, user account changed to X theme and can't change back. I've logged in to WHM, selected the account, and checked that the account was set to theme X3 (it already was), but saving that change or changing it to any other theme and saving it has no effect. The cPanel user still sees theme X even after clearing cookies and restarting. This is a major problem because the user needs access to shell right now and X theme doesn't have that option. How can I force a change back to X3?

13. mfelman

mfelman Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can anyone offer any ideas? I have shell access through WHM but even the user settings in there indicate the theme is set to X3. This user account really needs to be switched back to a working theme ASAP. Is there a way to reset theme settings back to defaults?

14. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In WHM, check to see the name of the Package that account has. Whatever it is, edit that Package and set it to x3 and save. This will effect any other accounts that use the same Package though.

WHM » Packages » Edit a Package

Or give the account its own new Package. When you attempt to Modify an Account and change its theme, you'll be prompted with some options.

Or have you tried those ideas?

15. mfelman

mfelman Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, I checked and the account had no package associated with it, so I created on with the theme set to X3 and added it. After doing this I went into the account to modify it and (without changing anything) clicked save. I got a pop-up that I haven't seen before asking me to pick one of a few different options. I selected the one to save changes to the package and it saved. I cleared cookies and logged back into the account, but it still only shows X theme even though the account in WHM says it is set to X3 and the associated package is set to X3.

16. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    OK, hold up a second. :)
    So we're on the right track. And then you:
    There was no need for this step.

Instead, go to:
    WHM » Account Functions » Upgrade/Downgrade an Account

Select this account, and give it that new Package you just created.

Give that a go.

17. mfelman

mfelman Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, did that. No change. In the cpanel login, I noticed that the account still has "undefined" as the package even though WHM shows the new package association. Is there a way to clear the server cache?

18. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yea, we're missing something simple here I think. And a few more explicit details.

For example, what do you mean by:
    Where, what exactly are you looking at?

I just modified an account, and choose the one option that says No Package.
    When I look in List Accounts, Under Package column I see a red icon that says "Unknown" beside it.

Next, I go back to: Upgrade/Downgrade an Account
    And select a valid Package.
    I go back to List Accounts, and I note the account now has the Package I just gave it, proper.

There is no clear server cache option, changing to another Package should set a new Package properly.

19. mfelman

mfelman Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When I log in as the client, cpanel loads and there is a column on the left hand side that says "General account information:" The first line under that says "Hosting Package: undefined." I don't remember if that was there or not in the X3 theme, I just know it's there in X. Here's an example image (not mine) that shows what I am talking about:

- Removed -

The steps you described are what I have done, and WHM and the user file that I can access via shell both claim that this user is set to use X3 as the theme. That's why I thought maybe it was a caching issue.

#19 mfelman, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  20. mfelman

mfelman Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I included a link to an image in my last post which I guess means its held for moderation. Google image "cpanel x theme" and the first image will show you what I mean about the user account information still saying the package is undefined even though WHM says it is set.