The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changelog?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NightStorm, May 1, 2006.

1. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    So wheres the *real* changelog? A new EDGE release was put out today, but there is nothing in the Changelog on layer2.cpanel.net and nothing on the changelog in my WHM that tells me what I should be watching in the ways of new features or potential bugs.
    Are they holding out on us? ;)

Oh, and for those who are eyeing it up and wondering... no Apache 2.x yet, and no transfer agent update. Soon though... soon...

2. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Another new EDGE release, still nothing in the changelog. What gives?

3. NT

NT Well-Known Member

It'd be good if cPanel provided more information in the changelog, as there's not much to tell us what's new/fixed/removed, etc.

4. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    More information? You mean ANY information, don't you? ;)
    There have been no updates to the changelog at all in several releases... this makes it harder to monitor changes to the system in order to figure out where possible bugs may come up.
    Can someone from CPanel (I know you're here ;)) please PLEASE update the changelog more frequently with what I actually have installed on my servers?

5. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The lapse in reporting change is unacceptable. This too will change in the near future. Our entire build system is in the process of being reformulated and this change is in mid phase. The changelog changes are an important component of this reformulation. It will work in conjunction with a revamped and extended WHM news replacement that we're calling our messaging center. There will also be an option to feed your end users information about changes and additions to the cPanel interface with references to our expanding documentation.

This topic has always been a sore point with cPanel, so please be assured that we're working to deliver an outstanding solution.

6. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    My faith in CPanel is renewed (I knew you were watching :p). At the moment, is there anywhere at all I can go to be kept up to date on the changes in today's 2 builds, and so on? A file included in the package, or something maybe? or am I stuck waiting until the new system is in place?

#6 NightStorm, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  7. DDT

DDT Active Member

I just wonder why we can't get changelogs on anything but edge & beta anymore. I like to know what release is doing, It had a bunch of changes last night but who can know what?

8. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

yea it's been like that a while now. They update the changelog about every 20-30 builds. right now I have a issue with a couple boxs ..anyone see thing on rh3 boxes?

XML::SAX is up to date (0.14).
    XML::Simple is up to date (2.14).
    perlmod--Install done
    GD installed ok
    initfpsuexec: using apache 1.x support
    Testing connection speed...(this could take a while)....Done
    Ping:3.376 Invalid Url at /scripts/cPScript/MirrorSearch.pm line 145
    cPScript::MirrorSearch::_testmirrorspeed('undef') called at /scripts/cPScript/MirrorSearch.pm line 109
    cPScript::MirrorSearch::_fetchgoodhosts('layer2.cpanel.net', 10, 5, 'HASH(0x829ffac)', 'HASH(0x829ff28)', 0) called at /scripts/cPScript/MirrorSearch.pm line 68
    cPScript::MirrorSearch::findfastest('days', 10, 'key', 'layer2.cpanel.net', 'count', 5, 'urls', 'ARRAY(0x82d7070)') called at /scripts/cPScript/HttpRequest.pm line 224
    cPScript::HttpRequest::_getAddressList('layer2.cpanel.net') called at /scripts/cPScript/HttpRequest.pm line 52
    cPScript::HttpRequest::request('cPScript::HttpRequest=HASH(0x83078c8)', 'host', 'layer2.cpanel.net', 'url', '/EDGE-installer/', 'protocol', 0) called at /scripts/upcp line 328

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's a misnomer. There is only one version of cPanel. There are, however, different trees, or milestones that are called STABLE, RELEASE, CURRENT, EDGE and BETA that allow you to stay at a particular version number that cPanel dictates. So, any and all changes up to a version occur in any tree at that version number. The fact that the changelog isn't being updated is, of course, the real issue ;)

10. DDT

DDT Active Member

Having used both Stable & release in the "old days" your WHM changelog would only show the changes in whatever version you were running, so running release tree you wouldn't see all the edge & beta stuff that meant nothing to you anyway. Now you see nothing EVER about release, only Beta & Edge.
    Last night was a perfect example, something in the cPanel update conflicted with Clam and ALL my e-mails were blocked for about 4 hours until we sorted out the problem...no way of knowing what caused it... but I know there was a change in WHM because now I have a "secure site" login at the top which then tells me I have no security certificate (I guess I should buy a security certificate for each server where nobody but admins will ever see them...duh) that wasn't there before...but look at the changelog & nothing...so who knows what.
    The change logs should detect what tree is being updated (the updates do anyway) and display the relevant changelogs. Simple.

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You've completely missed the point of what I said.

The fact that the changelog isn't being updated aside...

There is only one version of cPanel. If you look at the changelog it shows that one version. There are multiple milestones that cPanel dictates as I mentioned. So, if you're running RELEASE vx.y.z then allthe updates up to and including that version in the single version changelog apply to the milestone you are running on.

12. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    And, when all is said and done, we will simply wait with substandard changelog updates until the new system is put in place.
    Why? Because CPanel is worth the wait. ;)

13. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm on the edge of my seat ;) It'll come as a welcome relief to see proper documented changes.

14. DDT

DDT Active Member

I'm tired of missing your point, I have only been using it for 4 years or so (only panel I have used in so long I can't remember) so I can't possible know anything about "one version of cPanel" (I tried to make it clear I understood development trees) :rolleyes:

OK, So the last 2 nights release updated versions (big one night before last from R57 to R63 in one big jump), but nothing in the changelog shows "release" so how do I know which of those beta or edge changes that ARE there are incorporated into what it did to my release version between 57 & 63? Something in there screwed with Clam, but who knows what?
    No numbers match etc. so since no version numbers match and nothing says release PLEASE make it more clear to this idiot how I tell what they did to release night before last?
    It had to be big to jump 6 "R" numbers in one nightly update...but no mentions at all in the changelog
    :confused:

#14 DDT, May 4, 2006
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  15. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, I'm noticing some edits, so I'll refrain from tackling an exact reply. About all I can offer is that CPanel likely has several people all developing at once, which can make it easy to lose track of changes and updates when not using a proper project manager interface... this would likely explain the lack of update notices. Definately a downfall, but it's one they are in the process of correcting, so I won't call further attention to it.
    As for the massive jumps in builds, you need to keep in mind that they have been averaging at least 2 EDGE releases per day for the last 4 days... so it's likely that while you may have only seen the one big jump, it was in fact a series of smaller jumps throughout the course of the day.
    And on a side-note, I do see a few small mentions of changes in the log... still very unlikely to be all the changes that were made, but I have to give CPanel credit for at least listening to their customers and acting on requests... something that certain other control panels have lost the ability to do since releasing their most recent build (*cough*8.0.0*cough*).
    Its my guess that with an update to the STABLE release (rumor on the board is that it's coming tomorrow), CPanel will have some time to focus more on the side projects, like keeping track of update changes, and at that time we can begin to see a much better CHANGELOG system.

16. DDT

DDT Active Member

The edits were just spelling.
    My main question is why they changed the "system" in the first place. From the time I began using it the change log in WHM would reflect changes to the version you were using. Now there is no change log for "release" at all, just edge & beta which as you say change all the time...but that gives you no idea of which of those changes or when they are incorporated into release. And I don't care about the bugzilla's or the changes in those development versions (of course I might if there was a fix I needed in one but I probably wouldn't risk the stability of other functions unless it was necessary, and then it would be put in release or an update to stable) I know the people working on those issues need to know, but not the average user.
    I haven't used stable in years so I don't know but used to in stable you would just go months with nothing about it in the change log until a new stable release then the change log for it would be huge.
    It would just be nice to know what was changing as it happens...instead I have to wait until tonight and see if it was a fluke or if the most recent changes actually "broke" the clam interface which had the effect of causing clam to stop all e-mails...not a good thing for a host who has a 99.9% commercial clientele, and more down e-mail time & having to watch the servers at 3 am to make sure the e-mail doesn't need to be fixed again.

17. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Regarding the changelog and knowing what changes have been made, I have struggled with this in the past. A new Release version of CPanel was released just a few days ago. If you have your CPanel set to auto update and you are running the Release version, then you probably updated to this version. Previously, Release was at CPanel 10.8.1, as you can see at http://layer1.cpanel.net it is now 10.8.2. This is the update that people have seen.

From the way I understand (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), CPanel starts development at the Edge release (or maybe the Beta release, not really sure where Beta fits into this). Edge release is the so called "Bleeding Edge" release. It gets updated often and it also will likely have a few bugs in it (which normally quickly get fixed with new builds). After a certain amount of time, that version of CPanel is bumped up to Current. The thinking here is, more people use Current than Edge, so you get more testers to test the code, albeit the code has already been tested by users running Edge. Then the version progresses upward. Eventually the CPanel version is bumped up to Release, where again more people use it than Current and Edge so you have even more people to test the code. Generally, by the time the code has gotten to Release, the software is relatively stable. For the ultra-conservative, the Stable tree is last, by the time the CPanel version reaches Stable it has passed through Edge testers, Current Testers, and Release Testers, so it should be really stable.

So, what is fixed in 10.8.2? You can read through the changelogs for any mention of 10.8.2 in the Edge build and it has been incorporated into 10.8.2. It doesn't matter if you are running Edge, Current, or Release (at the time of this writing Stable is still 10.8.1). All changes in 10.8.2 that have been mentioned in the ChangeLog are incorporated into all versions of 10.8.2.

During this current time period when a new version of CPanel has been pushed out of Edge (10.8.2 was bumped to Current last week I believe and to Release just a few days ago). The influx of new users testing the software will find various minor bugs. This results in the various build updates. For example, at this moment, Release is 10.8.2_Release_69. If a bug is found in 10.8.2, the CPanel developers will act on this, fix the bug, and issue a new build. So Release might become, 10.8.2_Release_70, and likewise the other trees will get updated as well (Current and Edge).

All that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a ChangeLog that is just for Release or just for Current. It would be redudant, but it would be easier to see the changes. All of our servers run Release, so having just a section where I can see what all has changed between the 10.8.1 version of Release and the latest version of 10.8.2 Release would be helpful. However, like I said, this can be derived from looking at the ChangeLog and picking out what is necessary. However, as has been stated, CPanel is working on the ChangeLog and I think some detail needs to be added to the ChangeLog in regards to major updates and minor updates.

CPanel has stated that they are working on the ChangeLog system, so perhaps some of these issues will be addressed. However, as chirpy has stated, there is really only one version of CPanel that is being worked on, and I hope the explanation (if it is correct, which again, if I'm mistaken in anything, let me know, I do not want to mislead people) above can help explain that.

18. DDT

DDT Active Member

You are mostly correct but you miss the point.
    When release changes from R 69 to R 70 there will be no list of what those changes were. In one night they jumped multiple numbers, but there was only one update, so it must have contained several significant changes to skip the number sequence like that (combining several "R" versions into one update).
    There is no way somebody could keep up with edge & beta and know what did or didn't make it into release because as an example: there may still be 50 things that are being developed in edge (just a number from thin air) when the next "stable" is released. Edge development goes on constantly and is lots of trial & error & bugs, always changing & moving forward (a good thing) that's why nothing lower than release is recommended for production use unless, as I said, there is a bug fix you know for sure you need.
    Example: When a new "stable" comes out there is not a "blank slate" in edge...they are already working on the next round of new additions which are still buggy and may be unstable.

19. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I may be incorrect here, but I believe that a jump from a Release_57 build to Release_63 build may just be minor adjustments in the code. For example, if you're compiling a project, you find a bug in Release_57, you go to fix that bug, compile a new release (Release_58) but then you forgot a semicolon or something else. Well, you fix that, compile again, but this time this would be Release_59 and so on. The jumps from R57 to R63 may just be inconsequential.

But regarding the logging of these issues, yes I believe that would be helpful, but I believe that CPanel is working on this and will develop a new system for the ChangeLog that will address these deficiencies.

20. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

If anyone ran into the problem I had above with upcp .. I thought I would share what fixed it for me. I must have wound up with a crummy MirrorSearch.pm script so I grabbed one from a working box and upcp ran fine after that :)