The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing a Cpanel password changes the MySQL password...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by driverC, Oct 14, 2007.

1. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

When I change a Cpanel password it also changes the MySQL password. While I realize this may be useful under some circumstances it has turned out to be a problem for me most of the time. I.e. when I have to change a customer's password because the account was hacked his MySQL based CGI scripts do no longer work because the MySQL password has been changed. Now I often do not know where the scripts are located etc.

Is there any way to turn this of ? I mean to change an account password without changing the MySQL password ?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This doesn't happen as far as I know. In fact you shouldn't use the cPanel account password for your databases at all.

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Changing the cPanel account password will also change it for any service login used by that account. It will not change it for virtual users associated with the account. For example, changing the password for the user ckenneth would change the cPanel, FTP, MySQL, PostgreSQL and email logins for that account, but not the ckenneth_user MySQL virtual user, nor for any other virtual user. In this context, a virtual user is one whose user name is of the format user_name where user equals the cPanel account name.