The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing account owner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darreldamon, Nov 5, 2009.

1. darreldamon

darreldamon Registered

I've done a search and probably didn't search for the right term.

I am in the process of migrating a cpanel account from one server to another. During the migration, I need to change the user name. For example, on oldhost, the files are located in /home/olduser/ - i.e. username is olduser. On the newhost, I need the same files located in /home/newuser - i.e. username is newuser.

I've looked in the backup and the name olduser is liberally sprinkled throughout the files. When I do the restore, instead of bringing the files into the /home/newuser/ directory, it builds a new /home/olduser/ directory and repopulates all the files. That in itself is not all that unusual, and probably expected behavior.

Is there a utility or an easy way to get the files in the correct directory on newhost?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Modify an Account Username of existing users or during Account Transfers & Migrations

It is possible to change an existing account username using the Modify an Account function in WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Account Functions >> Modify an Account
    Related Documentation: ModifyanAccount < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki

If root access is available on the source server that is being transferred from it is also possible to transfer an account and modify it to use a new local username in the same one-step process using the account transfer functionality via WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Transfers >> Copy an account from another server
    Related Documentation: CopyAccount < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki