The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing apache auto restart ( monitoring ) configuration

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by LAZer, Feb 3, 2010.

1. LAZer

LAZer Well-Known Member

hi and sorry if this post is discused before. i have search the forum or google but i didnt find any specific results.

i want to change the interval of the monitoring service restarting the processes that is down. but i dont know where to find this intervel setting . or its config file.

for example i have seen cpanel restarting apache if it is down in about 15 minutes or so. and some time it do not restart it at all !
    perhaps sometimes it cant get the realtime status of the apache httpd process. when it donot restart it again.

is there anyway to decrease the intervel that is required for the processes being monitored or restarted if they are down ? for example decreasing the monitoring intervel of apache from 15 to 5 , if it is being monitored the way i think.

i have seen a monitoring service script named "monit" but i dont know if it is really required to be installed on server using cpanel ? it may be required for kloxo panels but in cpanel when it do restart the processes that goes down, i dont think that it is really being needed to install such scripts as monit. or is it better to install it too ??
    here is the link to monit : Monitor and restart Apache or lighttpd webserver when daemon is killed

thanks in advanced.

2. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

chkservd handles the service restarts and does this automatically every 5 minutes in cPanel 11.25 Builds.

You can view /var/log/chkservd.log to see what services are reported up/down and restarted along with how often this occurs.

The interval cannot be changed as its currently coded to do this every 5 minutes already.

3. LAZer

LAZer Well-Known Member

tnx for your reply :) i have read it and yes it is checked every 5 minutes but some times this checker script it self is suspened and it is restarted after a while . i dont know what causes that and anyway thats ok for me.
    so there is no need to install monit :D on cpanel.