Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing cPanel hosts email question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Shaune, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Shaune

Shaune Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Very inexperienced Cpanel user and i need some clarification for a website im changing hosts on.

We are moving a website to another host and was wondering if im going to have any trouble with emails that go to that domain, the old host is still up and running so when i change the DNS to point to the new host will the Email change to the new host the moment that the change is updated ? as long as i have all the emails created on the new host and everything is ready to go will i have any lag so to speak between email services ?

hope i explained that clearly enough ?

Shaune.

2. Eminds

Eminds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When name server change occurs , the standard propagation time is 24-48 hours however now a days its seen that propagation happens quickly.. Still if its taking the standard propagation time , during that time if any email exchange happens the sender will either receive bounce back. Its better to change the DNS on weekends.

3. Shaune

Shaune Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

I have the old host still active so as the DNS changes around the web, those that have not been updated will still send mail to the old host ??? is that the way DNS works ? if thats the case i should not lose any mail ??? as it will go to either server based on whatever DNS that the mail uses as it passes through the net ????

or am i missing something fundamental here ?

shaune.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, that's correct. You could access webmail using the IP address of the source server if you want to verify if any emails were delivered to the migrated email account during the DNS propagation period.

Thank you.

5. Shaune

Shaune Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

cheers Michael.

cPanelMichael likes this.