The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing DNS information

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by clooves, Aug 9, 2005.

1. clooves

clooves Registered

Hi everyone, I'm quite a newbie- this is the first time I've ever really dealt with buying webspace and a domain.

I received an activation e-mail from Hosting.MyMarkdown.com that included instructions on getting started.

I followed the first two steps, which were to "add a package" and "setup hosting for clooves.com (my domain)," but I found myself confused by the third step titled, "DNS information." The instructions read:

"You must change the DNS information for your domain name at your registrar in order for visitors to be sent to your web pages on our server. Within 24 hours after you change the Nameservers, the information in your Registrar's database is passed to the 13 International Root Nameservers. Millions of ISP's, routers, and dns cache engines located all around the world will then begin retrieving the information for your domain name from the 13 International Root Nameservers. All ISP's, routers, and cache engines will need to update their own DNS tables with the new information for your domain name. Nearly all of the worlds ISP's, routers, and cache engines should be finished updating their records after about 3 days. You will then be able to access your web pages on our server using your domain name.

Primary Nameserver: ns1.sslcatacombnetworks.org
    Primary Nameserver IP: 67.18.224.99 (usually not needed)

Secondary Nameserver: ns2.sslcatacombnetworks.org
    Secondary Nameserver IP: 67.18.224.100 (usually not needed)

Temporary URL: http://omicron.sslcatacombnetworks.org/~clooves/

Note: Use the Temporary URL to access your web pages on our server before DNS propagation."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using this webspace for personal use and basically just want to be capable of uploading files to the server.

2. lostinspace

lostinspace Well-Known Member

Ugh! Their explanation was definately TMI (too much info).

Simple:

Change the name servers for your domain at your registrar to reflect the new host name servers. This is done at the place you registered the domain.

It may take 24 to 72 hours for the domain to properly point to the new host (that's the gobbley gook in that DNS paragraph).

So, while you wait for the domain to point to your new host, you can access your site using that temp URL they provided.

Also, why didn't you ask your host about this?

#2 lostinspace, Aug 9, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  3. ehpmahesh

ehpmahesh Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just contact to your domain register and give them thim info. They will update your DNS.