The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing DNS without loosing mail

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by peter19, Dec 1, 2005.

1. peter19

peter19 Registered

I rent my domainname with provider X, I am using their DNS servers at the moment, but I have my own nameservers now and want to use those. My question is : will I loose mail when I'm waiting for the nameservers to change (this can take up to 48 hours, right?).

Provider x uses mail redirect functionality but it says in their FAQ that when using your own nameservers this does not work anymore.

If I set up mail redirect functionality in CPanel before I change the nameservers, will I loose any mail? Please explain! Thanks!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Mail could potentially be delivered to both places while the DNS records propagate. Usually, this happens either immediately, or within 24 hours, but as you say, it can take longer.

The best thing to do is to simply establish the IP address for the domain you are currently using to collect email and use that instead and check both servers for email over that period.