Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Domain but keep existing DNS up

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Todesengel, Mar 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Todesengel

Todesengel Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I have domainname1.com currently setup on my WHM server. DNS servers are ns1.domainname1.com, and ns2.domainname1.com.

I am going to retire domainname1.com and be moving to domainname2.com. I want to be able to change the hostname on WHM, setup the new DNS servers for ns1.domainname2, ns2.domainname2.com but still allow the existing ns1.domainname1.com function until all the clients have been migrated.

What would be the best way to accomplish this?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's acceptable to have multiple name servers using the same IP addresses.

You can setup the new name servers at the domain registrar for "domainname2.com" pointing to the same IP addresses you use for the original domain name. Then, add the "A" records for the new name servers in it's DNS zone on the cPanel server. Additionally, setup the new default name servers for new accounts under "Name Servers" at the bottom of "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Basic WebHost Manager® Setup".

Once all of your customers have switched over to the new name servers, simply remove the DNS zone for the original domain name on the cPanel server. Then, update the NS records in the existing zones using the instructions in the following thread:

Bulk DNS Zone Update

Thank you.