The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing domain name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timgarrett, Jul 6, 2010.

1. timgarrett

timgarrett Registered

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi guys

new to this website building. i have just installed joomla under a domain i purchased. now!! i m not happy with the domail name and want to change it to another domain i have purchaced. how do i do this with cpanal.

Thanks in advance

Tim GArrett
  2. aapkapratik

aapkapratik Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I reckon you cant change your domain name from cPanel but you will be needed to have access to WHM,

In WHM you can use the "Modify an Account" feature under " Account Functions " to change the domain name of your choise.

Just to add if you wish to change server name In WHM, go to the menu option for "Hostname" under "Networking Setup".

After you click on that, there will be an option to change your Hostname.

Contact support to change the Hostname of the server so it will stay that way with a reboot.

Register your IP addresses as nameservers under the new (at the registrar.) While you're there, remove the registration of the ns1 and nameservers.

Change Basic WHM setup to use the new nameserver names. (Add A records as well.)

Run /scripts/rebuildcpanelsslcrt if getting warnings about the SSL cert when logging in to WHM/CPanel after changing the Hostname.

Edit the zones hosted on the server to update the NS records to the new nameserver names.

Run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt to synchronize the cPanel license with with the new hostname.
    #2 aapkapratik, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010