The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing FTP home directory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clinch, May 8, 2006.

1. clinch

clinch Member

I'm trying to set up a site using cpanel, and I would like to change the user's FTP home directory to something other than the default. Currently, I have set up a new account for this site, and as expected, when the user logs in via FTP, he/she is brought to:

Code:
    /home/username/
    I would like to modify this one site (note I do not want to change all the sites on my system) so that when the user logs in via FTP, he/she has an FTP home directory of:

Code:
    /home/username/public_html/dev/
    This way, I can ensure that all the files uploaded to this directory are going to the right directory. Is there a file or database that contains this information? Can I make the change through WHM or Cpanel, or is it something I must do manually?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

With cpanel interface, you can create many ftp accounts, which creates home folder for that user in the /home/username/public_html/ftpusername

hope thats what you are asking

3. clinch

clinch Member

Not really what I'm looking for. I know that I can create accounts like that, but I'm hoping there's a way to change the default FTP home directory for a user. Essentially, I do not want the user to have access to anything above public_html/dev/

There doesn't seem to be anything in WHM or Cpanel to handle this.

4. rustelekom

rustelekom Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

you can correct this by userdmod -d /home/username/public_html/dev username
    or just by editing /etc/passwd
    but you need to think about how cpanel will work with this setting in future.