Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Changing hostname concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ksechrist, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ksechrist

ksechrist Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My WHM on a dedicated server came setup with something like this as the hostname:
    server.uniquemyhostingco.com

Everything is working correctly and my domains are passing all checks at mxtoolbox. I just don't like my hosting company being advertised in the email headers, even though the domain shown points only to my server, it's pretty obvious who is hosting it.

So I've been researching this (mostly forums - and have seen a lot of issues) and am worried about changing it - can someone point me to a checklist before changing, or list the caveats (old server software is a particular concern in my case)?

What if I change it, and have trouble - will changing it back fix it?

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You can change it, you just need a different domain. Add that domain to your server and point the dns to your nameservers, pick a hostname, whatever.newdomain.com and set the hostname in whm. Then set up the A record for something.newdomain.com to point to your server IP and then have you provider change the rDNS entry for your IP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ksechrist

ksechrist Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @ksechrist

Let us know if you have any questions on that! It can be a bit confusing at first.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...