The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing IP on cPanel account from Shared to Dedicated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyberchimps, May 25, 2012.

1. cyberchimps

cyberchimps Member

Hey everyone.

I apologize if this seems pretty basic but I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I actually pull the trigger. I have a server through Rackspace that I'm running WHM on with a couple accounts including my company's primary domain.

In order to register an SSL cert to the cpanel account that has our primary domain we needed to get a dedicated IP. I got that from Rackspace and I have confirmed that it's pointing to our server.

My question is: do I have to do anything else other than use the change account IP utility in WHM? Do I need to manually edit the DNS zones or will that happen automatically? I've been doing some reading trying to understand this all more and I read that lowering the TTL time would help it propagate faster. Right now it's set on 24 hours but there are several entries and I'm not sure which one I should change (or if I should bother at all).

I searched for a sort of step by step guide on how to do this but I really couldn't find anything. I just don't want to go and switch the IP and then bork our site.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    if your DNS is hosted on the same server (or in the DNS cluster for your servers if you run multiple ) them no you do not have to do anything else change and wait for propagation

3. cyberchimps

cyberchimps Member

So I did the change and WHM did change the zone file but then I ran the domain through intodns.com and the following warning came up:

Looks like the A records (the GLUE) got from the parent zone check are different than the ones got from your nameservers. You have to make sure your parent server has the same NS records for your zone as you do.I detected some problems as follows: For ns2.cyberchimps.com the parent reported: ['108.166.93.100'] and your nameservers reported: ['108.166.89.241'] For ns1.cyberchimps.com the parent reported: ['108.166.93.100'] and your nameservers reported: ['108.166.89.241']
    We host everything on the same server so the name servers are set to the shared IP. This warning sounded bad so I switched the IP back to the shared one until I can understand this a bit more. Should we be changing the name server IPs as well?
    Also, what would be a good number to change the TTL to? 14400 is 4 hours, is that too low? Should I just use the Edit DNS Zone utility in WHM and change the 86400s to 14400? Do I need to update the serial number (I thought that was related to the TTL).

I do have another account/domain on the shared IP. Should I change the TTL on there and see if the new IP works with that account? Or would switching IPs back and forth between different sites just lead to longer propagation times?

Also, should the site be accessible via the IP as soon as I make the switch or does that also take a while to propagate?

Thank you for the advice. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to this stuff and I just don't want to leave the site sitting in limbo.

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    your NS A rerecords a set up incorrectly
    not an issue with changing your IP

5. cyberchimps

cyberchimps Member

I figured out what the issue was. Because the NS is using the same shared IP, when I changed the IP and it auto-replaced all instances of that IP in the zone file it replaced the ns1 and ns2 entries which needed to stay the old IP. I just did a test again with the other domain and went and changed the ns1 and ns2 in the zone file back to the proper IP and everything worked great. It actually propagated basically instantly.

I am now going to lower the TTL on the main domain, let it cycle for 24 hours and then make the change at an off peak time (and make sure I remember to go manually edit the ns1 and ns2 in the zone file).

Thanks for your help, but I think I now finally understand what I need to do.