The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing name servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by openmind, Apr 29, 2010.

1. openmind

openmind Member

OK at the moment I have ns1 and ns2 setup on two remote VPS servers that all my cPanel servers hook into to, there are four currently. I'm using the DNS only version of cPanel.

Now I have created two new remote name servers ns3 and ns4 and what I would like to do is this:

1) Change all the domains using ns1.old.com and ns2.old.com to use ns1, ns2, ns3, ns4.new.com (Note that ns1-4 are new name server names completely
    2) Retain ns1, ns2.old.com for a couple of weeks until everyone has updated their domains.

So in essence, update all the dns zones to use the four new name servers instead of the two old one but keep the old records somehow so users won't have issues if they don't update their domain registrations immediately.

I though about making ns1,ns2.old.com custom name servers as I would for a reseller and then set the new name servers as the default for account creation but how do I update all the dns zones currently using ns1/2.old.com without breaking everyone's sites?

Make sense?

2. JamesAB

JamesAB Active Member

I believe the dnsonly servers don't care about the actual names of the nameservers, so you should be able to change the settings at your registry to point your new ns1 and ns2 nameservers to the exact same IP addresses that your existing ns1 and ns2 nameservers are using. Both the old and new will be accessing the same information so you don't need to make any changes to the zones there at this point.

cPanel uses IP addresses (rather than nameserver names) for the DNS clusters so you should be able to simply add your new ns3 and ns4 to your existing cluster.

Finally, once you verify that your new ns1-4 are all in sync and working properly you will just need to update each of the zones to replace the old nameserver entries with your new ones.

3. openmind

openmind Member

Thanks James, is there a batch script to do this in cPanel?

4. JamesAB

JamesAB Active Member

No. You would need to write your own.

5. openmind

openmind Member

Gotcha. Thanks for your help :)