Changing Nameserver IP's without Downtime

ddeans

Feb 13, 2004
Maryland
Need some IP advice here.

I've got a question that I have searched but could not find an exact answer on it.

This is the issue. I have a box with hosting company A. My download speeds on this box are about 36k/second when no-one else is using it. The only thing the Hosting company can do is move the box to a new rack with new IP's to speed up the download. But this would mean that I would have to wait for the IP's to propagate all over again. 3 days downtime is not an option here.

Now I also have a box with hosting company B. In a different datacenter. This server is almost full but has enough room to store the users files on my first box, for a few days. Can I copy all the data from box 1 to box 2 and then update the nameservers at the registrar to reflect the new Ip's, and the customers not know that they moved to a different server?

So basicially, can I just change the NameServer Ip's without the customer having to do anything and the site's then point to box 2, while box 1 is being moved all over the place?

Thanks!

Last edited:

shaun

PartnerNOC
Verifed Vendor
Nov 9, 2001
San Clemente, Ca
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
1. Move the customers from A to B
2. Change A's zone files to point to B's ip
3. Setup the nameservers that where on B on A
4. Wait for propagation.

You can do the same but the other way around when you get server A back up.

My advise, move server A to another provider, this provider is clearly screwing there clients.

PbG

Mar 11, 2003
WHM edit DNS Zone. Or edit the zones from the command line in /var/named/

I would also shorten the TTL on all the zones then wait till the previous TTL expires before implementing the above changes. I also believe any customers that have the IP's defined along with the nameservers at their registrar will need to be notified. If they just have the nameservers listed this will/should work fine.

Originally posted by ddeans
How do I do this?