The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing nameservers does not apply

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gabrielpasv, Oct 5, 2011.

1. gabrielpasv

gabrielpasv Member

Guys...

I need to change my name servers in whm. I go to "Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" and I chose the nameserver with my server's IP. However when I got to " Main >> Networking Setup >> Nameserver IPs" It still showing the wrong nameserver

This wrong nameserver is the namserver os other cpanel server wich I have migrated sites from.

I saved my changes and I also have restart named service and still doesn't applying my changes.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    edit the

/etc/nameservers file manually

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I've noted several times recently on the forum, the /etc/nameserverips file is no longer used for WHM's Nameserver IPs area. The file is now at /var/cpanel/nameserverips.yaml location.

4. gabrielpasv

gabrielpasv Member

Thanks fro the Tips.

Now I register the nameserver at godaddy yesterday. on the IP address field it says "NO IP"

Do I have to wait more for the dns propagation or is there someting wrong with my server ?

Thanks

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Where is the IP address field? Do you mean in WHM > List Accounts area? If not, please specify where precisely you are seeing this information. Thanks!

6. gabrielpasv

gabrielpasv Member

here:

Main >> Networking Setup >> Nameserver IPs

I register the dns and add the "host sumary" entry for the dns ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

Then I went here "Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" and put the nameservers 1 and 2.

It should appear on "Main >> Networking Setup >> Nameserver IPs" right?

it's not.. .it show "NO IP"

7. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Noted :)
    same applies make sure you have a A records set up for ns1 & ns2

note: what id displayed Nameserver IPs does not have any effect on your dns it may be it has not yet propagated 100%

if you see your name server here http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=ns1.mydomain.com&type=nameserver then you have registered them correctly

8. cPanelTracey

cPanelTracey Member
    Staff Member

We had received clarification on this feature, and the nameserverips.yaml file from our developers. I wanted to share this to clarify the intended behavior.

The functionality of the "Nameserver IPs" page was changed in 11.30. It is now a report, and not a page meant to configure any aspect of DNS. It reports the nameservers used by zones on the server, as well as a count of the the number of zones that use a given nameserver.

The nameserverips.yaml file is automatically updated, and not meant to be altered by hand. Neither is the /etc/nameserverips file. The script /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips populates the yaml file automatically. This script retrieves the information it populates the yaml file with by scanning the zones on the server for NS records, then using /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/quickdnslookup to get the IP.

The correct way of updating the information on Nameserver IPs is through the "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" page, and to ensure a proper DNS configuration. If the Nameserver IPs page is presenting incorrect information when DNS is set up correctly, this is a bug and should be reported via a support ticket.