The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Pilgrim03, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Pilgrim03

Pilgrim03 Registered

Hello,

I have already searched for this issue, but I could not find any help. I have a cpanel server setup with the following:

hostname: server1.mydomain1.com
    nameservers: ns1.mydomain1.com and ns2.mydomain1.com

I am changing my main domain name, and I'm not sure of the process that I need to do, to change my nameservers. I would like to do this without any visible downtime on the sites, if possible. I have 20+ domains on my server. After it's finished, I would like the setup to look like:

hostname server1.mydomain2.com
    nameservers ns1.mydomain2.com and ns2.mydomain2.com (going to the same ip addresses as the old nameservers).

Both domains registered with namecheap.com, and am using their advanced nameserver config to configure the nameservers to redirect to the ip addresses..I just need to know what to do on the server.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. budlight

budlight Member

Is domain2 hosting an active website? If not what I would do is simply modify the hosts on your registrar to have ns1 and ns2.domain2 to point to the correct ips. I would probably wait a day to make sure this all resolves properly. Then I would begin changing the records in cpanel for the nameserver and pray that all went well. Honestly I think you'll be at the mercy of the cpanel gods. After changing the nameserver in cpanel you might want to check the records for each domain. Also very quickly you'll want to update the nameserver records on each of the 20 hosted domains. One thing you might consider is stepping the transition aka changing ns2.domain1.com to ns2.domain2.com and leaving ns1.domain1.com intact at first, that way when domain1.com is no longer the nameserver it should still resolve. DNS is such a headache but if you think about it you can normally minimize downtime. You may want to write out your plan of action and create a timeline for it, to help you visualize everything better. Also I wouldn't go on vacation or anything while you're making these changes as if google sees the sites are down they are likely to drastically reduce any traffic to the sites. One thing you should do right away is lower values like SOA and TTL. See http://dnsreport.com/ also it's a very useful site for debugging dns type issues.