Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Changing outgoing IP for certain accounts - can't get it to work

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by bmett, Feb 5, 2012.

1. bmett

bmett Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Our mailserver has 100s of accounts and never caused us much of a problem. Lately the amount of compromised account and incidents with massive spam sending are becoming more regular.

Therefore we are trying to change the outgoing (SMTP) IP for certain accounts. I had a good read through
    Changing the Sending IP for Outbound Email in Exim
    but can't get it to work.

Following example.

IP1: 123.123.123.1 main IP of the server, so far used for every account to send mails. no problem.
    IP2: 123.123.123.2 freshly new assigned IP, supposed to be used for certain accounts' outgoing server IP

Firstly, the above article says to turn off
    In my WHM the option is called different:
    Couple of questions:
    • Does these accounts that are supposed to use the new IP to send mails need a dedicated IP? I hope not, since we want several accounts to use this new IP.

• Does the above setting to be on or off? I'm really confused about it.

The above the option also mentions the /etc/mail_reverse_dns file, but the tutorial only mentions /etc/mailhelo and /etc/mailips.

I tried several things with these two/three files but not matter what the settings, the mails send via this account come up with IP1.

I know that this is a very general call for help, but I still ope somebody can give me some advice. Maybe someone can tell me what exactly the above three files need to look like to get a certain acount to use IP2 when sending.

Cheers,
    Bjorn

2. antinportugal

antinportugal Registered

Hello

I´m in a similar situation and had been trying to implement the suggestions in the same article you linked to - without success so far.

Did you manage to resolve this eventually ?

Thanks

Adrian

3. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you try the following?

Go to WHM >> Exim Configuration Editor >> Enable "Reference /etc/mailips for outgoing SMTP connections" .
    Save the above configuration.
    Set the required ip in /etc/mailips

eg: domain.tld: ipaddress

Cheers!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...