The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing package names to include "owner_"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redham, Oct 31, 2009.

1. redham

redham Member

Aug 14, 2006

I added several new packages to include a new feature (R1Soft backup direct access) that I only want to be available to clients who pay for the service.

where I messed up is that I didn't include the prefix "root_" to the package name. Without this prefix all of my resellers can assign these packages to their clients without paying for the new feature.

I guess I'm lazy because I want to simply change the package name instead of recreating every new package but WHM doesn't allow changing the package name in it's "Package Edit" function.

I found where cPanel stores the package files at "/var/cpanel/packages". I also know that the version 11 of cPanel can be a bit testy when you make changes directly to it's file system.

QUESTION: Can I simply change the file names of the packages from (for example) "Starter w R1Soft" to "root_Starter w R1Soft" in the file location:

cPanel version: cPanel 11.24.5-S38506 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.3 x86_64

It would be great if the option to change the package name was added to the "Edit" feature in WHM.

Thanks for your help