The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing server IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DewKnight, Mar 19, 2010.

1. DewKnight

DewKnight Registered

Hello,

I've done a bunch of searching but can't find some exact steps on what I need to do for changing the server IP

Basically I got this server with 4 IP addresses. I want to change the main IP to the third one as it's easier to remember.

I've had the license changed to this new IP already. I have changed the IP address in the basic setup. I've also changed the nameserver IP addresses to use IP numbers 2 & 3. For some reason some places. I've updated eth0 to the new IP.

For some reason I'm just getting some odd issues. /~user/ links don't work from the IP. I think after the reboot most everything is good. I just want to make sure that I have changed everything that I need to for changing this IP.

EDIT: Actually I think I fixed the /~user/ links, but I still want to make sure everything else was updated properly.

#1 DewKnight, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  2. DewKnight

DewKnight Registered

I believe that I got everything updated. the NS are mostly working, and it looks like everything uses the new IP.

The only problems I see now is there is no zone file for the new hostname (while there is one for the old). Not sure if this is a problem.

I also see one error that one of my nameservers isn't responding. I'm fairly sure that everything is correct. I've done a bunch of searching and I'm not sure how to fix this one.

You can see the error here: intoDNS: dewknight.com - check DNS server and mail server health

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Does the hostname have an A record in the DNS zone of the sub-domain's parent domain? For example, if the hostname is server.domain.tld, does "server" exist as an A record in the zone of "domain.tld"?

As long as there is an A record for the hostname then it should not require a separate DNS zone.

Is the affected name server IP on the same system as the other name server that is not affected?

Is there a firewall on the server IP address specified in the error?

If there is a firewall in-use, I would temporarily disable it and then check to see if the issue is still present. I would also consult with the upstream data center as they can verify if the IP address is usable and correctly routed to (and correctly configured on) the server.

4. DewKnight

DewKnight Registered

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. There is an A record for the hostname, so all should be good there.

I disabled the firewall and had the same issue. The NS are on the same server. The IP that is showing the error used to be the server IP, until I switched to the other IP. I'm guessing that has something to do with why it's not working properly.

I will check with the DC. If anybody has successfully changed server IP's in the past, I would appreciate a list of files updated when they did it

Thanks again.