The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing servers, issue with one domain showing old server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoWilkes, Jun 10, 2013.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm upgrading to a new server, with a new IP. These are both semi-managed servers, but I have root access. All of the accounts use the same nameservers; NS1.EXAMPLE.COM and NS2.EXAMPLE.COM.

On the old server, I went through the DNS records on all accounts, and changed all of the A records to the new IP. Then, I updated NS1.EXAMPLE.COM and NS2.EXAMPLE.COM to the new IP address. I figured that, this way, even the ones that don't update the nameservers will still hit the old server, then be redirected to the new IP.

This has worked seamlessly, except for one domain. This domain doesn't belong to me, and the nameservers show WORLDNIC.NET, which I assume is just a proxy for my nameservers in an attempt at privacy. For this one domain, the old server still shows up, so the DNS records on the old server don't appear to have any impact, either.

Oddly, domains that are parked on top of this one DO show the new server. It's just the main one that doesn't.

So, this leads to two questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the problem is with the domain registrar, even though the DNS records on the server aren't forcing the redirect?

2. If so, can you guys suggest a way to force the redirect, anyway? I've tried using mod_proxy, which does show up as installed under EasyApache, but I can't find mod_proxy in httpd.conf so I'm not sure if it's enabled. I can dig deeper, though, unless you guys suggest a better option.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it sounds like this domain name uses the registrar's name servers. Try changing the name servers on this domain to name servers hosted on one of your cPanel servers, or modify the "A" records manually at the registrar.

I would also like to point out that if you are copying the accounts over to the new server via the WHM transfer tools, you can select the following option:

"Express Transfer"

This will automatically make the entries that are your changing manually. The option is documented at:

Express Transfers - cPanel

Thank you.