The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing servers question (and nameserver setup)

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by digitard, Jul 23, 2005.

1. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

Okay,
    Right now I am hosted through ServerBeach. For their price/offerings I couldn't believe the service I was getting. I have now found a deal too good to passup with another provider (thenynoc) and they have been getting pretty solid reviews from what I can find and their system is hosted on the same peer1 backbone (datacenter) but I'd get another 120gigs on my HDD space and CentOS instead of RH9.

My question is this:
    - What would be the best way to backup my existing server stuff (cpanel, customer accoutns, etc) and transfer to a new server as seemless as possible? My main concern is getting everything setup on the new IP/box and being able to confirm it operational and then doing the actual changes with my customers.

#2. What would be involved in setting up a nameserver?

While I pretty much have the 'server operation' stuff down I've never had to setup a nameserver cause my host provided me mine so i never gave it a second thought as i learned more and more about my system and how to work it.

I would like to setup my own nameserver this time so that I can have instant activations of customers accts int he nameserver instead of me going into a CP and adding their domain each time.

D.

2. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

Nobody can help on this one?

3. romanus

romanus Well-Known Member

what you are asking is a lot. You may want to employ one of the guys on this board that posts a lot to help you. I think they do it for an hourly rate.

4. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    do a server copy from the current server to the new one using the WHM. That will deal with creating the named as well.