The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing site IP question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bjdea1, May 16, 2004.

1. bjdea1

bjdea1 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've noticed when I change a sites IP address it often goes down for about 4-10 hours and then comes back again. What I would like to know is why? I know it has something to do with dns propogation of the change - yet I still don't see why the site needs to go down. Is there any way to keep a site up during an IP change?

Such as can you perhaps add something to the dns zone to keep the old addressing method working still? Or can you add a redirect or something in the httpd.conf file temporarily while the change is occurring? I wish I understood the reason why the site goes down. Because from what I know the domain is still pointing to the server regardless what IP the site is using, so why does changing IP's have to mean downtime? Couldn't the Cpanel software team have some way of keeping a site up during an IP change? Like a temporary dns zone entry or a temporary httpd.conf entry while the transfer is taking place, which could be undone again once propogation has completed.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to better understand whats going on here - so please feel free to write anything that may help.

Thanks

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

One thing you can do is 48 hours prior to changing the site's IP address reduce the refresh time of the domain. You can do this in Edit DNS. Set it to a 1-2 hour refresh instead of the standard 4 hours.

Other than that there is nothing you can do. Each DNS server on the Internet has its own refresh rate on cache and you cannot control this.

3. alex042

alex042 Well-Known Member

One of the things I noticed when changing some site ip's is that for the sites where that server also controlled DNS, the site had little or no downtime between ip changes, but for a site that was using an external dns, it was down for several hours.