The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the background color. A tough nut to crack.

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by jols, Nov 6, 2014.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've been working on this for two solid days and I thought I had a solution.

I'm using the Servers template, and I am not quite ready to clone this into a custom template, etc. I just want to use the branding editor to change the placid green gradient background into a warm tone, to fit our custom banner.

Okay, this turned into a bit of an unexpected and rather monumental challenge.

I found the graphic that is repeated to produce this gradient, here:

/var/cpanel/userhomes/cpanel/cpanelbranding/x3/servers/ui_sprites_bg_snap_to_smallest_width.png

.. so I simply copied this out, changed the tone int Photoshop, and reupped it to the same location. For a good 18 hours or so, that worked fine. But then it changed back to the former color. No doubt, because this is generated by the sprite generator, and some sprite refresh command is running every so often. But I'll be danged if I can find the original .png file for this.

So I am right on the verge of setting an immutable bit on this file, which I supposed may screw up cPanel updates in the future?

Any ideas for a better approach? Thanks much.

2. jols

jols Well-Known Member

So, would it be dangerous to chattr +i on ui_sprites_bg_snap_to_smallest_width.png do you think?

Would I get cPanel upgrade failures if I did this?

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That seems like a bug. The contents of /var/cpanel/userhomes/cpanel/cpanelbranding should only change if a human initiated a change through the branding system.

Making that file immutable /shouldn't/ cause problems with cPanel & WHM updates. Before doing that I recommend performing an audit on that file to determine what is doing the change.

4. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks very much Kenneth. One question - How exactly does one perform such an audit? Is there a step-by-step on this somewhere?