The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the main domain on a reseller account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GordonH, Aug 12, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Hello
    Every day we have people wanting to change the main domain associated with their reseller account.
    This is becoming a major issue for us.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

As far as I can see there is no way of doing this, even by screen scraping or API.

The process needs to:

1. Use modify account process to change domain on existing account.
    2. Change reseller ownership of all accounts under that reseller to the new username.
    3. Sort out the resellers name servers (nightmare if they are using their own name server names).
    4. Switch reseller priveliges to new user.

OR

Use an existing domain under that account as the new main domain and switch them while keeping the name servers the same.
    (this is simpler and we could ask them to set up an account for the new domain first).

Process:

1. Copy reseller privelige to new user and delete from old one.
    2. Change ownership of all the accounts.

One problem I can see with this is that cpanel does not really know who the reseller owner of an account is in any meaningful way.
    For example, if you delete a reseller and his accounts and then try to restore from backups the system only restores the main account because it does not know what the other ones are.

The root of this problem is the way usernames and passwords and DNS are managed. It really does need to be moved to being more database driven witht he option of having one central database for multiple servers. This way you could also have longer usernames or indeed multiple accounts with the same username provided the passwords were different, by having the unix usernames held in a look up table (sometimes called a shim system).

Anyway, thats me thinking aloud.
    Its the reseller main domain that is the immediate niggling issue and I am keen to find a way of automating it seperate from cpanel, like I have done witht hings like password changes.

2. techpro

techpro Member

Sorry to reply to an old post but this is the first one I found that describes what I want to do.

My main domain was used to open a reseller account. I then added some other sites. (I'm not actually a reseller, these are all my own sites.)

I am now in the process of moving my main domain to a new host. When I have done this I want to designate one of the other domains to be the primary domain of the reseller account, so that I can delete everything related to the original primary domain from that server.

As a mere owner of the reseller account, I can see no way to do this. Does this mean I have to ask the web host's tech support to do it?

#2 techpro, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. theservergroup

I know of no way to do it uless you can make the reseller account into a normal account. Or you could just leave the account as is (delete all files, and re-point the DNS to the new server).

4. techpro

techpro Member

Yes, that's what I did in the end. I deleted that site off the reseller account, but I still log in to the account using the original credentials to manage the other domains.