The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the URL question re Joomla

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by evolveweb, Feb 19, 2009.

1. evolveweb

evolveweb Member

I have a website that I look after and currently it runs off URl theentrancejuniorrugbyleague.com.au that has now been changed to tetigers.com.au

I currently have the latter name parked on the original name. The site is a Joomla one.

In order to change the primary URL to tetigers AND have the Joomla site running the same, is there something special I need to do? I realise that this may not be a strictly WHM question but any help that anyone can provide would be appreciated.

When I change the domain name in WHM the site does not look right. There are images missing etc, which seems a bit strange as everything still points to where the images are.

Thanks for any help,

JL

2. jBillu

jBillu Member

Re: "Changing the URL question re Joomla"

As far as I know, after the installation of Joomla, it creates a file called "configuration.php" in the root directory where you actually installed it. In this configuration file Joomal defines few variables, that are referenced in other scripts. Domain name related variables are:

--
    configuration.php:$mosConfig_live_site = 'http://domain.TLD';
    configuration.php:$mosConfig_sitename = 'domain.TLD';
    --

Currently you would have 'theentrancejuniorrugbyleague.com.au' in place of 'domain.TLD' whereas when you try to change the domain name from WHM, it does not change the domain in configuration.php file (WHM is not supposed to make this change). So you need to make the change in configuration.php script and replace every entry of "theentrancejuniorrugbyleague.com.au" with your new domain "tetigers.com.au" after you change the domain name in WHM. I hope it will resolve this isuse.

3. evolveweb

evolveweb Member

I tried that but it did not seem to work.

I have a reseller account so i am planning on creating a new account with the new URL. Upload the template and create the sections, contents, etc. Then when that is done, copy the content of the site by cutting and pasting from the HTML in WYSIWYG and then making sure that is all OK. Then I will park the existing domain on top of the new one and all should be OK.

I will give your suggestion another go though but there were files missing all over the place. I would have thought that if I found all of the existing URL references to the new URL that is will work. I need to do some further investigation i guess or start from the beginning which in the end will probably be quicker.

JL

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure if this is helpful, but if your Joomla is of the 1.0.x variety, you might want to try moving to 1.5 (new install) and use the Migrator tool they've got over there to pull your content into it from the 1.0.x site. Works pretty good.
    Although 1.5 Joomla is not without it's own issues.