The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the WHM root password from a command line?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steve.deobald, Jan 17, 2005.

1. steve.deobald

steve.deobald Member

Hey guys,

After the phpBB/santy worm scare I was forced to give my colo my root password (sigh). After that, they managed to get SSH working again, but Cpanel/WHM was broken temporarily. Once that was up and running, I had already changed the root password at the command line.

However, now I can't log into WHM because I didn't use the WHM root password changer. It appears I can't use my old root password in WHM, either (which might be a blessing in disguise, since I don't want that password to work for anything now that some $10/hr colo tech knows it).

Does anyone know how I can change the WHM "root" password at the command line? Is there a reason it's not in sync with the actual root password?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Donna

Donna BANNED

Hmm I change the pass from commandline all the time, could be you need to restart WHM

service cpanel restart

What command are you using to change the pass? /scripts/realchpass should to it.

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

passwd ( man passwd <-- manual page )

4. Sketch

Sketch Active Member

There should be no reason why, if you use passwd from the commandline, that you can't get into WHM. I do it all the time...

5. kalpin

kalpin Registered

I always change my root's password in command line, and there is no problem with my WHM. Make sure you clean up your cache/temporarily files from your browser. After that try change your root's password in command line and then login to WHM with root. Wish this help.