Changing the WHM root password from a command line?

steve.deobald

May 10, 2004
Hey guys,

After the phpBB/santy worm scare I was forced to give my colo my root password (sigh). After that, they managed to get SSH working again, but Cpanel/WHM was broken temporarily. Once that was up and running, I had already changed the root password at the command line.

However, now I can't log into WHM because I didn't use the WHM root password changer. It appears I can't use my old root password in WHM, either (which might be a blessing in disguise, since I don't want that password to work for anything now that some $10/hr colo tech knows it).

Does anyone know how I can change the WHM "root" password at the command line? Is there a reason it's not in sync with the actual root password?

Thanks,
Steve

Donna

BANNED
Feb 15, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Hmm I change the pass from commandline all the time, could be you need to restart WHM

service cpanel restart

What command are you using to change the pass? /scripts/realchpass should to it.

haze

Dec 21, 2001
passwd ( man passwd <-- manual page )

kalpin

Registered
Jul 13, 2004
I always change my root's password in command line, and there is no problem with my WHM. Make sure you clean up your cache/temporarily files from your browser. After that try change your root's password in command line and then login to WHM with root. Wish this help.