The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Usernames

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbrad, Feb 27, 2002.

1. sbrad

sbrad Well-Known Member

I'm trying to finish moving my accounts to a new server, but there are a few that start with numbers. Nick said in a previous post this wasn't allowed anymore, and the username would have to changed.
    My question is, how the hell do you do this? WHM certainly won't let you do it. I don't mind doing it by hand, but I don't know where all to change it.

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

change /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow entries, just jump to the line with the username with the number, and change the username to the new name.....

then copy their /var/cpanel/users file to the new form of the user (within that same directory).....

A few cgi-type items may fall apart which are cpanel related, if they had them configured, but that is to be expected when you completely change a username.

Reset permissions over their root directory when complete to make sure all is well (and recurrsively)
    And then /scripts/updateuserdomains
    and
    /scripts/mailperm

Make sure that your /etc/proftpd.conf and /etc/proftpd/USERNAME or /etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts files are correct (/scripts/ftpupdate).... and make sure your apache config has the correct paths in conjunction with the new username for the account.

g00d luck

3. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it before; I'm not sure what happens to MySQL databases when a username's changed. There's also the small matter of changing the user's directory in /home.