SOLVED Character appended to autoresponder message

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
We are finding that an = character (equal sign) is appaended to the body of all autoresponder emails. Here is an example:
This is an automatic response.=
This is happening on multiple servers (all the servers that I tested); not just one server or one domain. All of these servers are running WHM/cPanel ver. 74.0.10. I have upgraded one server to ver. 76.0.1 in the hope that the issue is addressed in case CPANEL-23461, but the problem persists.

I am not seeing anyone else complaining about this on the cPanel Forums, so it would eppear that this is possibly related to our specific server configuration, e.g. custom Exim filter file, or custom configuration blocks in the Exim configuration.

I would welcome comments from anyone else seeing this behaviour.

Thanks.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @Stefaans

I'm not able to replicate this when I attempt to test on v76. Can you tell me about the server?

1. OS
Code:
cat /etc/redhat-release
2. Exim Customizations
Code:
cat /etc/exim.conf.local
3. The actual AutoResponder
Code:
/home/$user/.autorespond
As well as anything you think may be relevant to the issue.

Please make sure to remove any personally identifying information from the responses.

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Thank you @cPanelLauren. Here is the bits of info:

Code:
 cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
2. Exim Customizations
3. The actual AutoResponder
Code:
cat /home/username/.autorespond/auto\@domain.com
Content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Subject: Automatic response

This is an automatic response.
and
Code:
cat /home/username/.autorespond/auto\@domain.com.json

{"stop":null,"interval":0,"start":null}
I hope you can spot something!

Thanks,
Stephen

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
HI @stefan2003

Unfortunately, there is nothing telling in that information, but thank you for providing it. You mentioned the following:

I am not seeing anyone else complaining about this on the cPanel Forums, so it would eppear that this is possibly related to our specific server configuration, e.g. custom Exim filter file, or custom configuration blocks in the Exim configuration.
You showed me customizations to the exim configuration but what are the customizations to the Exim Filter file as well as specific server configuration that might be related to mail items?

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
I have simplified things and taken all custom configurations out of the equation. I did this by using the Reset option in the Exim Configuration Manager with the option "Reset the entire Exim configuration to the default settings provided with cPanel & WHM". This changed nothing in the behaviour -- the trailing character still appears in the autoresponder body.

I did this most recent test on WHM v76.0.6.

How is this possible that I am the only one with this issue, and it is happening on multiple servers? :confused:

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
I have found and fixed the problem!

The short version: This is 100% related to the following bug corrected in WHM v76.0.1:
Fixed case CPANEL-23461: Add a single newline to the end of autoresponder body.
The long version: The issue with the trailing character in the autoresponder body persisted until I deleted it in cPanel, and then recreated it. After recreating the autoresponder in cPanel v76.0.1, it worked as expected with no trailing character. On comparing the autoresponder file /home/username/.autorespond/auto\@domain.com before (created with WHM v74.0.10) and after (created with WHM v76.0.1), it became clear that the latter included a final newline character that the former did not have. Subsequently, I tested on WHM v74.0.10 by manually adding an empty line at the end of the autoresponder (in cPanel), and the resulting autoresponder email worked fine.

So, to fix the problem, do:
  • If you are using cPanel v76.0.1: Simply edit and save the autoresponder. This will add the needed newline character at the end of the body.
  • If you are using an older cPanel version: Edit the autoresponder in cPanel and add a blank line at the end of the message.

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @Stefaans

Nice work, it would explain the inability to replicate the issue as the autoresponder needed to be removed and recreated which I was unaware of per the information on the case. Would also explain why new ones didn't experience the issue. Thanks for letting us know what you found and how you resolved it!

Thanks!