Checkhints named.ca outdated?

kernow

Jul 23, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Getting a lot of these in error_log:
Code:
 named[415867]: checkhints: view localhost_resolver: b.root-servers.net/A (199.9.14.201) missing from hints
named[415867]: checkhints: view localhost_resolver: b.root-servers.net/A (192.228.79.201) extra record in hints
named[415867]: checkhints: view localhost_resolver: b.root-servers.net/AAAA (2001:500:200::b) missing from hints
named[415867]: checkhints: view localhost_resolver: b.root-servers.net/AAAA (2001:500:84::b) extra record in hints
It looks like the hints file named.ca needs updating as in two locations, /usr/local/cpanel/etc/named.ca and /var/named/named.ca their a few years old.
I thought perhaps running as root /scripts/named.ca might help but I just get 'permission denied'. Can I update this manually and if so which of the two named.ca files is the one to update?

cPSamuelM

Technical Analyst Team Lead
Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello @kernow,

Thank you for contacting cPanel! Based on the information provided on the following page, the warnings can be safely ignored.

However, to address the issue you can attempt to update the root hints. The following page provides instructions for updating the root hints:

If you continue to observe these warnings in the named error log I would encourage you to submit a ticket using the link in my signature so we can investigate this further for you.

Best regards

kernow

Jul 23, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the update link, however the suggested file to update for Centos /Fedora Linux 'named.root' does not exist on this server, so should I change the wget command file to:
/usr/local/cpanel/etc/named.ca
OR
/var/named/named.ca ?

cPSamuelM

Technical Analyst Team Lead
Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello again @kernow, the latter option should work. For example:

# dig +bufsize=1200 +norec NS . @a.root-servers.net > /var/named/named.ca

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Reactions: kernow