The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child accounts unable to log in to FTP or Mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by destam, Mar 2, 2010.

1. destam

destam Registered

Hi everyone.

I recently started experiencing a problem with my child accounts. The problem is that neither mail accounts, nor FTP accounts that I create are able to log in to the respective services. In both IMAP and FTP I get the same message, "Unable to login". Now, the weird thing is that the parent account has no problem logging in to these services, it doesn't have a problem sending and receiving emails or problems while uploading or downloading files throught FTP.

My webhost recommended to backup my data, delete and recreate the account through WHM, but the problem persists and I have no idea whatsoever on how to solve it.

The most annoying thing is that the mail server automatically rejects all messages that are supposed to be delivered to the child accounts so we don't get much mail lately :(

I hope that someone can help me out with this, because my webhost does not seem to be able to find a durable solution to this problem (they did manage to fix it once but the problem persisted after a container restart).

Thanks in advance,
    Alex.

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

You will have to take the full backup of your web site and then try to remove the domain and re-create it from the WHM if you have an access to the server.

Moreover, regarding the email issue you will have to check the email logs through SSH at /var/log/exim_mainlog.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Why would anyone suggest wiping the account and recreating to solve a password issue? If resetting the password is not working correctly, you might want to put in a ticket with cPanel and let them take a closer look for you. If you don't have root access, you might ask your host to contact cPanel directly.

Recreating the account seems a bit extreme to me.