chkservd alerting on services I don't have.

Moses Moore

Jun 19, 2015
Montreal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Got an alert from cPanel today that "The server has 12 unmonitored services". Ran `
whmapi1 enable_monitor_all_enabled_services` as instructed.

Now cPanel is sending me alerts that service 'pop' has status 'failed'. But I don't have any 'pop' service, and in "Home »Service Configuration »Mailserver Selection" I set "Mail Server" to "Disabled" months ago. So there is supposed to be no 'pop' service running, but chkservd is sending me messages every five minutes saying I'm missing something I shouldn't have!

Why is cPanel sending me alerts for something that I'm not supposed to have? How can I tell chkservd to stop sending me alerts for this, without turning off chkservd completely?

Moses Moore

Jun 19, 2015
Montreal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Found it. Thanks.
Weird that I can disable pop3 & imap in "Home »Service Configuration »Mailserver Selection" but it is still enabled in "WHM »Service Configuration »Service Manager" and vice-versa.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

This issue should be addressed in cPanel version 11.52 per the 11.52 change log:

Fixed case CPANEL-585: Service Manager (WHM): imap/pop are not available when Mailserver is disabled.

Could you confirm that you are not yet on cPanel version 11.52?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I'm having trouble reproducing this issue. If you browse to "WHM >> Mailserver Selection", enable the mail server, and then disable it again, does the issue repeat itself? For instance, which specific steps can I take to reproduce this issue on a test machine?

Thank you.

Moses Moore

Jun 19, 2015
Montreal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Home »Service Configuration »Mailserver Selection .
currently set to "Disabled"
Home »Service Configuration »Service Manager > "Deselect a service to disable it."
Dovecot IMAP has no checkmarks
Dovecot POP has no checkmarks
changed it to Dovecot (the only options are Dovecot and Disabled)
Home »Service Configuration »Service Manager > "Deselect a service to disable it."
Dovecot IMAP has checkmarks for "Enabled" and "Monitor"
Dovecot POP has no checkmarks
changed it to "Disabled"
There are no rows for Dovecot IMAP nor Dovecot POP.

I think the problem happened when upgrading from an earlier version of cPanel. Perhaps a previous version of WHM or the upgrade script assumed that everyone has a Mailserver other than "Disabled."

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I think the problem happened when upgrading from an earlier version of cPanel. Perhaps a previous version of WHM or the upgrade script assumed that everyone has a Mailserver other than "Disabled."
Hello :)

An additional case, CPANEL-770, ensures IMAP/POP properly reflect the "disabled" status when disabled via "Service Manager".

Thank you.