The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chkservd and pop3s & imaps (etc)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shannon, Aug 29, 2006.

1. shannon

shannon Well-Known Member

Alright, going to throw this one out to the wizards here on the forums and see if anyone has any ideas.

Standard cPanel build, running all the regular fun loving services.

chkservd watches all your normal processes... but for some reason yesterday pop3 w/SSL up and died.... pop3 on 110 was running fine, but pop3 on 995 was dead. Since pop3 on port 110 was running fine, chkservd didn't notice anything abnormal, and never restarted anything.

I came along a little later, (after a client noticed they couldnt retrieve email and opened a ticket), restarted all cpanel services, and life is good.

My thought is, how can we modify chkservd to watch not only the normal insecure ports, but also the secure ports?

I'm hoping there's some easy way to do this, but I'm fearing that since (assumption here) chkservd doesn't have ssl built in, this is something that would require a change by the cpanel team.. (Adding ssl support to chkservd?)

Ideas?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You're right in your final analysis. chkservd would need use the SSL perl libraries to be able to talk to ports 995/993. That said, are you running maildir and courier-imapd? If not, then that would probably resolve the issue since the daemons are usually either all running or not.

3. shannon

shannon Well-Known Member

maildir conversion... ~shudder~

Has anyone done one lately? And is it any more stable then it was when the option first came out? I seem to recall at the time it was first introduced there were.... issues. (Truth be told, as with any major "change" cPanel makes, I put this on the "ok, look at it in a month or three after everyone else has found all the problems" list.. and somehow that list got lost.. ehehe)

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with the conversion, now or when it first came out. Those issue were mostly related to not having the servers OS update system correctly setup.