The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chkservd Explained

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delta003, Sep 22, 2004.

1. delta003

delta003 Member
    PartnerNOC

I have written a complete walk-through explanation for all of what chkservd does.
    For example: How often does it run, how does it parse the files in /etc/chkserv.d/,
    how does it effect the red-green service status lights in WHM. An understanding
    of Perl helps, but I wrote it also with the non-programmer in mind.

http://codenode.com/chkservd.html

If a developer catches this thread I'd like to hear if I'm wrong anywhere in my analysis.
    I'd also like to hear more about port 4445 and WML.

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

upalert sends Net Alerts to mobile phones. (4445 is the port of the cellisuar companys openwave server) Note: I don't know of any cell phone companies that actually document that this feature of the openwave WAP/WML servers.

after a quick glace, it all looks about right to me. Did you use some type of code -> text generator and some human replacement ?

3. delta003

delta003 Member
    PartnerNOC

Thank you for the information. Is there documenation somewhere on how to setup
    Net Alerts to mobile phones? Is there documentation for /var/cpanel/up-alerts ?

No code -> text generator. Truth be told I spent a few hours learning Perl first then manually
    read through the program and wrote that doc. (Learning Perl was nothing special; I've
    programmed in C, C++, and PHP for years. Although now I must admit: I should have
    learned Perl long ago.)