The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chkservd will not find spamd service, keeps restarting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by afrazee, Jul 2, 2005.

1. afrazee

afrazee Member

I have searched through the forums here and tried rm'ing /var/run/chkservd/spamd and restarting chkservd, with no luck. I have spoken with my host provider tech and this is the information he has told me:

"I have confirmed that spamd is running just fine. The problem exists in chkservd and how it's checking to make sure spamd is running. It runs spamc (spam client) and sends a fake message to spamd. If it does not respond before the timeout then it reports it as not running. The timeout is set to 600 seconds which seems to be a more than reasonable time for the message to go through. I manually ran the command that cpanel uses to check the timeout of spamd and it worked just fine with no timeout.

I can't make any kind of modification to the cpanel software because it's proprietary. I would strongly suggest posting a message on the cPanel support forums asking what can be done to remedy this. Outside of that I'm afraid I can't be of much more help with this problem."

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    is this issue solved ?

3. afrazee

afrazee Member

No, it has not, im working with cPanel support currently and we are addressing the problem. At first it was fixed by re-installing SpamAssassin, but it has started again, I'm still waiting for a fix...

4. afrazee

afrazee Member

Just an update...

I was looking on the internet and I found this link. Which i believe tells me that if i run
    Code:
    /scripts/restartsrv_spamd --check
    and receive no output then it will place a '+' inside /var/run/chkservd/spamd

However when i type:
    Code:
    I receive:
    Code:
    root@apollo [/]# /scripts/restartsrv_spamd --check
    Spamd is not running
    root@apollo [/]#

which tells me why there is a '-' in my /var/run/chkservd/spamd

Now i am not sure how to troubleshoot this problem, i do have a strace output of the /scripts/restartsrv_spamd --check command, will this be helpful for someone? I have not got a clue, i can put the strace output of it would be beneficial. Other than that I have to wait until cPanel Support can get back to me..

5. afrazee

afrazee Member

I posted it here

6. afrazee

afrazee Member

OK I think i figured out why this is not working, to begin with, let me say that i used this guide. Just playing around i went thru it again making sure i did it correctly. Well what i have found is down at this part:

Well inside my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf i did have:
    score GTUBE 13 uncommented, i went thru and tried each of them seperately, restarted exim, then used the command /scripts/restartsrv_spamd --check to see if i got an output, well i figured out the only way i can have no output was to comment them all out so it looks like this:

Code:
    # Change the number to the score you want to test
    #score GTUBE 13
    #score GTUBE 11
    #score GTUBE 6
    Does this affect anything else? i havent got a clue, i just know this is working for me, if someone could please explain why this is happening, i understand that restartsrv_spamd --check uses /scripts/RestartSrv.pm to send a fake email to test the system filter and somehow that score GTUBE 13 line was making it timeout creating an output of spamd not running.

7. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

GTUBE code is a special rule used for testing spamassassin. After tweak spamassassin and test it. You should remove the GTUBE rewrite score in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

However I check /scripts/restartsrv_spamd and /scripts/RestartSrv.pm, rewrite GTUBE score should not create any problem with checkservd. You can check if spamd is running by using this command.

/scripts/restartsrv_spamd --status

Noted: no space between -- and status.

8. afrazee

afrazee Member

when i use
    /scripts/restartsrv_spamd --status i see the processes just fine, the problem lies in how chksrvd checks to see how spamd is running or not. It uses/scripts/RestartSrv.pm to send a test email and the way it does this is with the /scripts/restartsrv_spamd --check and not --status and by commenting out score GTUBE 13 was the only way it worked.

9. rfrench10

rfrench10 Well-Known Member

Spamd fails exactly 43 minutes after restarting (every time!)

Spamd fails exactly 43 minutes after restarting (every time!)

I kept getting email notifications (to my cell phone) every 43 minutes around the clock. This got so frustrating that I ended up stopping it and making sure it was not checked for again.

I need spamassassin but can't take these notifications all the time. Is there a solution. I won't disable the system email notications as that is how I keep track of the servers condition.

10. afrazee

afrazee Member

11. afrazee

afrazee Member

if you type:
    Code:
    is there any output?

12. rfrench10

rfrench10 Well-Known Member

Yes I tried all four spots you mentioned FIRST, before writing. I do not currently have spamAssassin running and spamd is not running, nor is it failing (obviously) and is it no longer sending the emails (obviously).

My problem is I want to run SpamAssassin and spamd on my server but can't deal with the constant failures and resulting emails, every 43 minutes.

13. afrazee

afrazee Member

Well im trying to help, i can only go over the things that i know to check, i myself get many emails, be lucky it was every 43 minutes instead of my 5 minutes. Perhaps it is the same problem, try to enable spamd and try the restartsrv_spamd --check because if it does output anything its obviously going to stick a '-' in /var/run/chkservd/spamd which results in chkservd thinking its down so therefor it will contact you how you specified in whm i would imagine..

14. VexT

VexT Active Member

I had an issue like this. I had to open port 783 in APF. grep that port # in /var/log/exim_panic_log to see if have any failures with that port

15. afrazee

afrazee Member

Code:
    root@apollo [/]# grep 783 /var/log/exim_paniclog
    root@apollo [/]#
    I got no results

16. zgpablo

zgpablo Registered

Eaxactly same issue, but no GTUBE entries in local.cf

I am having the same original issue of getting an email sent in my logs every 8 minutes & 20 seconds. Which is every time chkservd is running to check my processes.

It is obviously doing a "/scripts/restartsrv_spamd --check" which gets no output and decides spamd is down, restarting it and sending the initial test email.

/scripts/restartsrv_spamd --status does get output and if there is a way to use that command instead I am sue it would fix the chkservd issue. Or maybe WHM should fix this bug.

Anyone else having this issue now and got any solutions?