Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Chksrvd unable to find process in cPanel 68

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jazee, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jazee

jazee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So I upgraded to WHM 68 when I migrated a couple servers last weekend. Started getting failed service notifications and so naturally thought it was a problem with new server config. It's not. It's a bug in WHM 68. You can imagine I want to PUKE when I keep seeing the banner at the top "SEE WHAT'S NEW IN 68!" Ya I see what's new... annoying bug that causes me to waste a lot of time.

From Cpanel Support:

This is related to a known issue in the built-in service monitor for cPanel in version 68. The service(s) in question are not actually going down when these notifications appear which contain the following error/output:

== == == == == == == ==

Failed to read data: No such process at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/LoadFile/ReadFast.pm line 121.

== == == == == == == ==

This is happening due to the way in which the service check generates then reads the process list on the server. If any process on the server is present at the start of the check but exits before the end of the check, the service check throws an error, resulting in a false positive on the service being down. A notification is then sent, and the service in question restarted.

We are currently tracking this issue in case #CPANEL-16759. While this case is not publicly viewable, its ID will appear in our changelog (linked below) when changes are made as a result of this case

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'll monitor the status of internal case CPANEL-16759 and update this thread once the resolution is published.

Thank you.

Mysticeti likes this.
  3. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

To update, the resolution is included as part of cPanel version 68.0.12:

Fixed case CPANEL-16760: chkservd: ignore monitored but disabled services.

Thank you.

4. jazee

jazee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great news. However 68.12 is listed as currently an EDGE release which I believe means it should not be used in a production environment. Is there a way to just apply a patch to 68.09 to address this issue or should we just wait until 68.12 hits RELEASE tier? What is the typical average time for it to move from EDGE to RELEASE?

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Note the actual version number is 68.0.12. We don't have a specific time frame to offer, but tentatively, it should make it's way from Edge to the Current/Release tiers by next week since it's a minor version change.

Thank you.

6. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

We too have been inundated with service failure notices from multiple servers since upgrading to WHM 68.

@cPanelMichael, your quote of the CPANEL-16759 fix mentions DISABLED services. We are seeing this issue with ENABLED services, and all of them related to Dovecot, i.e. IMAP, POP and LMTP.

It does not sound as if CPANEL-16759 is fixing the issue?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's just one aspect of the case. It's also intended to solve the issue you have described.

Thank you.