Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choices in PHP Selector | extensions

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by rseiler, Oct 2, 2017.

1. rseiler

rseiler Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    We use cPanel (currently 66.0.23) as part of a hosted plan dedicated to running a WordPress site.

In testing PHP versions over the last few months (had been on 5.6, trying to get to 7.1 without WordPress problems, which is a whole other story), I noticed a couple things that I can't explain:

1) "Opcache" is unchecked in 7.1 but not in 7.0, 5.6, etc. This is an important setting, so I'm wondering why it's unchecked in 7.1. My only guess is that it's in consideration of certain WordPress plugins that ran afoul of it recently.

2) Are the items selected when using "Use Defaults" changed from time to time? Or is what's behind "Use Defaults" for, say, 7.1, been the same the whole time? In comparing the items checked in the 7.1 section now with those checked when clicking "Use Defaults," I see several differences. We never changed them, and the host has no knowledge of it, though that doesn't mean they're not involved. It seems more likely that cPanel optimizes defaults over time, and it changes with version upgrades.

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The "All PHP Options + OpCache" profile does not enable PHP 7.1 by default, and thus the PHP 7.1 OPCache extension is also not enabled by default. If you are customizing this profile to enable PHP 7.1, then you'd also need to manually select the php71-php-opcache RPM under "PHP Extensions".

The default profiles can change over time. You can view the change log for the ea-profiles-cpanel RPM to see those changes with a command like this:

Code:
     rpm -q --changelog ea-profiles-cpanel-1.0-30.31.1.cpanel.x86_64
    We recommend creating custom profiles if you'd to preserve specific selections in a profile:

EasyApache 4 - Create a Profile - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. rseiler

rseiler Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    OK, understood. I didn't realize that it depended upon that PHP 7.1 wasn't the default yet.