The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHOWN error - how to backup before and reinstall after OS reload

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andymoo, Apr 21, 2005.

1. andymoo

andymoo Registered

Hi there,

We have a box with The Planet running WHM and cPanel, I was logged in as root in a users folder where I had been manipulating a Zip file. I wanted to change the owner of the extracted files to 'euro' but tapped in chown euro /* -R which has changed the ownership of EVERYTHING on the server to euro. Our sites are still working but mail accounts have died and I think it's just a matter of time before the whole thing falls over.

I have spoken to The Planet's support who suggest an OS reload.

Right now I am copying /home to /backup but every file I copy over is now owned by root.

An automatic backup has stored /dirs and /files in /backup/cpbackup/weekly so I know that the cron jobs, DNS, named, domains etc settings are all stored.

Once the /home directory is on /backup/home I will need to request an OS reload.

Once I have done that how do I get all the accounts setup and working again as I'm worried that there will be ownership permission problems.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks folks!

Andy
    (Feeling as clever as mud for being thick enough to mess this one up)

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. andymoo

andymoo Registered

Thanks

Thanks for that, all is sorted now and back online!