The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chown -R running forever each time Cpanel is updating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by driverC, Aug 10, 2007.

1. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

Every morning when CPanel is updating the Cpanel program that is updating exim is doing an chown -R /var/spool/exim. This takes like an hour or so to complete. After it is complete it runs again for like 5 more times so basically I gut a chown process running all day long. Is this really necessary ?? I really hope CPanel can fix this and repair their Exim installer.

All my servers are overloaded now...load at 20...simply because CHOWN -R is totally using all available resources. : (

#1 driverC, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

any ideas ?

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

If "chown" is running that long AND is killing the CPU you probably have an issue with the mail queue. Can you cd to /var/spool/exim and do a "du" or something to see how much junk is in there?. You might have a giant load of old emails stuck and they should be purged.

I never heard of this before and even if chown were stuck waiting for another task to end or something like that it shouldnt be eating the CPU unless it actually is chowning a warehouse-full of old emails or something.