The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cihost.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cguimont, Sep 19, 2004.

1. cguimont

cguimont Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I am looking at this Datacenter(cihost.com).
    How is it vs ServerMatrix?
    HAs anyone tryed it?

Any feedbacks pls?

thanks

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

3. cguimont

cguimont Well-Known Member

hmm... out of 20 reviews.. 19 were negative...
    I see

SERVERMATRIX!

4. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I used to have a server at cihost... i didn't have one of the nasty horror stories that you might hear about... (and I think most of the complaints might have been for cihost hosted customers (shared hosting - not ded servers). but still the experience was basically so-so. I was with them for about 3 years... basically because it was a huge pain to move and the industry was in such upheaval. My main problem with cihost was they fell behind everyone else... way way behind. And I finally just had to move, since it would have cost me much more to upgrade and stay there and I would still be stuck with all the disadvantages. I moved to servermatrix earlier this year, and have been quite happy with them... I've got RHE 3 and cpanel, and a much much more powerful server and lots more bandwidth, and all for the same price! plus no yearly contract!

WIth cihost I had their customized redhat 5.2 and then 7.2 OS, and it was very very hard to make it do what I wanted without breaking things. And the techs were usually not helpful... though some were good... they still didn't go 'above and beyond' or anywhere close. PHP versions were lagging waaay behind since you had to wait on cihost to roll it out dc-wide, after they had gotten it working with their custom stuff. A lot of the software they are using is old/outdated... the OS, Sendmail, PHP, sometimes APache, and Perl. I didn't care for their 'control panel' either.

I never had anything seriously bad happen to my server (hacked, drive failure, memory failure, etc) so I really don't know how good they are in that respect. (though actually the same goes for SM)

Anyways... I'm much happier being on a 'standard' system where I can use resources on the net and know that it'll work properly. I like SM much better. Cihost might have changed since I was there... but I haven't been back so I don't know how they've changed... but I don't think I would ever move back... maybe if I need a super-cheap dev box or something like that, I might try them again for that... but not my main server(s).

5. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

6. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

Too expensive.
    I have a dual 1gig cpu, 2gb ram, RAID1 80GB, 500GB/Mo, cpanel, Managed Support, 24X7 online support staff on ICQ for 170$/Mo elsewhere :)

Anup