The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cisco 1841?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheOddLinguist, Jul 21, 2008.

1. TheOddLinguist

TheOddLinguist Registered

Hello, everyone.

At the office, we've begun setting up a few technologies to make our business run smoother. We purchased a trixbox Pro appliance to manage our phone system...a Dell server so that we may begin locally hosting our clients' websites...and cPanel to manage all that hosting.

After some issues configuring cPanel...we came to realize that it was malfunctioning because it was behind the NAT that our Netgear firewall/router was doing...and cPanel doesn't support NAT. We started trying to configure the server on the DMZ port...but we realized something. The Netgear router we currently have does not work with our trixbox Pro Appliance. Therefore, it's time to get a new router.

We seem to be agreeing on a Cisco 1841 router...since it is specifically mentioned by trixbox as a "Supported Device". However, I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether it will work with our server or--more importantly--cPanel.

My thought was that putting the server in the DMZ would remove it from the NAT...and therefore solve our problem. [...and cPanel does, indeed, work when we remove it from the NAT temporarily.] But when I read the documentation and configuration setups on the Cisco router...it doesn't look like the DMZ works this way...nor can I find what 1841 configuration to purchase to ensure I have the featureset that I need.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I've got a pretty good feeling that a Cisco router should have all the configuration options we need to make this happen...but I'm not ready to suggest the purchase if I'm not 101% certain that it's going to work. Any help is appreciated...let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
    Christopher David YUDICHAK